Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Brasso on Cymbals?

Hello,

Has anyone ever used Brasso to clean their cymbals?

The reason I ask is because I've often heard people mention this product when cleaning chrome, but haven't ever heard anyone use it on their cymbals even though it does mention brass as being a metal it can be used on.

It smells exactly like some Zildjian cymbal cream I used to have.

Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

I have. It takes a lot of time to buff it out.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

It will remove some metal, but if you have a filthy cymbal that you don't really like that much, you can try it and it might improve a bad overtone....or, it might make it worse.Toilet

I have used it. It will work to get rid of the really bad stuff...but, at what cost? I don't know.

Anymore, I rarely clean my cymbals because I always handle them by their edges and never touch them directly with my fingers. Cymbals tend to build up a patina over time that I like.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

If you're going to do it, use an small orbital sander with a wool buffing pad. Saves a ton of time. You can then wipe them down with an old towel then put on a clean pad and buff to shine.

IF YOU HAVE ANY MARKINGS ON THE CYMBALS OTHER THAN STAMPS, BRASSO AND OTHER CLEANERS WILL MAKE THEM GO BYE BYE.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys.

I don't have heavily tarnished cymbals, they're in pretty good shape. I guess I'm just after a product that isn't that harsh.

Would something more along the lines of Groove Juice (never used the stuff, but have heard of it on this forum) be better?

Has anyone ever heard of/used Buckaroo Cymbal Cleaner?

Just wondering what others are using out there - creams or sprays?

Thank you.

Posted on 15 years ago

Groove Juice works, too, but it's basically an acid, so you can't get lazy when you use it and you have to rinse the cymbals off very well immediately after you get them clean.

I have actually used Lava soap and/or toothpaste! Anything with a light abrasive will work for light tarnish.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here