Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Blue label Paiste 602 paperthin set

I've never ventured into the Cymbal side of the house before-- I'm hoping the resident metal gurus can help me out:

A buddy of mine has a stunning collection of absolutely pristine blue label Paiste 602 paperthin cymbals. He has offered me his 12", 13", 14" and 15" for $5,000.

Can anybody give me a sense as to whether or not this is reasonable?

I helped him acquire the 12" on ebay recently for $670 (incl shipping) and the hard part is trying to assess a value for getting all four at one time as a set.

Thanks!

- Current restoration Project: Geo Way 5 piece
- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 12 years ago

With friends like that ...

man oh man ...

That's a ridiculously high price for those cymbals. It's not in the ballpark ... heck, it's not even in the same state.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Take the 15 inch, beat him severely about the head and face with it, and ask him how much he felt like it was worth.......geez !!

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

If those are 12", 13", 14", and 15" hats, plus he plans to throw in a 20", 22", 24" as well as a flat and a china, now we might be in the ballpark.

Blue Label "Paperthins" might be rare, and might command a premium, but that's triple what they're worth in the real world.

Posted on 12 years ago

OK, so I figured if each platter is worth about $600, the collection of four would be worth about $2500 - 2800. Does this sound reasonable?

- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 12 years ago

From jegellman

OK, so I figured if each platter is worth about $600, the collection of four would be worth about $2500 - 2800. Does this sound reasonable?

Not for a friend. A friend wouldn't charge another friend "street value" ... or even close to it. They help each other out and cut a serious break. Maybe it's just me ... I don't know. I would flat out walk away from this deal and do some serious ruminating on the "value" of that friendship.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

None of the cymbals you mentioned are worth near $600. (and the $670 ebay price for a 12" was a preposterous fluke). To get a realistic figure check out the ebay list of "completed sales", (not the inflated asking prices). Anecdotes & quotes from others can frequently be out of date, & one needs to look at the current market in a realistic way.

Posted on 12 years ago

I really don't think he was trying to cheat me, I think he was guessing at the value and I think grossly overestimated the "collection" value. I told him I would check my 'sources' and get back to him.

Thanks for all the input!

Posted on 12 years ago

To tdennis: these cymbals do not come up very often at all, I had been looking for a "12 inch blue 602 paperthin" for him for at least four years!!

FWIW:

I just went back and checked the bidding history on the item: apparently there were two other folks who also thought the cymbal was worth at least $500!

Thanks again to all!

Posted on 12 years ago

here we go again its a sign of the times this may well be a bargain compared to the future the days of the steal deals are behind us, as once this forum creates the knowledge the thread spread like wild fire and as with anything else supply and demand i don't own any 602's or blue label paiste id love to ive lost some great cymbals to theft or plain carelessness hold on to what you have. this year will be a record year mark my words the day of the 1200 $ set will to come to pass the real museum kits will demand and get top dollar soon it will be only odds and ends for sale it will be like diamonds they have a grading flawless some flaws and loaded with inclusions, so it will be here too anything mint is a sellers market you can get sabian's all day and stencil zildjian's dirt cheap of course 2200 would be a deal for all those if perfect but maybe he's testing the waters if you paid that much for them you'd have to :BURY :them for 5 years to recoup there value as you could not play them just don't forget the stale bier when you bury them then they'll be worth 10k( i prefer a dark bier as it ages them better and of course makes them sound Darker)

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here