Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

Biggest Cymbal?

Living at the time only a half-mile from the 1964-65 World's Fair in NY, I spent just about every day in the place. I vividly remember in the "Bourbon Street" area we in the afternoon would watch this great jazz band play. Separated only by a decorative wrought iron partition I would stand right behind the drummer and marvel at just how good this guy was, and how great his drums sounded. It wasn't until years went by that I found out he was widely known, when I came across an instruction book he had written. It was Sam Ulano.

I know, I know I'm digressing, sorry....lol

Anyway, right around the corner from there at night we would watch this rock band play. Pretty good drummer. But, what really got my attention was this HUGE ride cymbal he had. I had my then new Zildjian 22" ride at the time, and thought that was big. But in looking at this I felt I could by another and use them as hi-hats. This monster absolutely dwarfed a 22. It had a great stick sound, and when played would shimmer like no cymbal I have seen. Occasionally, he would lay into it with the stick shank and would almost come up off his throne to get this thing to really ring out.

I'm not sure if it was a Zildjian, couldn't get close enough to see a stamp, but it sure looked like one.

Was there such a thing as a 44" or maybe even bigger?

Posted on 14 years ago

I was told by a old timer on another Forum that Stan Kenton had two 30" Zildjians made for him by Zildjian -America for his drummers to use in the 1940s. I have never heard of anything bigger than 30" myself.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

Found these pics of a Sabian 29" previously on eBay. I think it was going for around 8 chops.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I had a 28" Avedis ride, that was huge too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhmj9Upnmnw"]Here it is.[/ame]

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]30" is the largest l've ever heard of (which has been confirmed as real ). l own a 26" Paiste Stambul.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="Purple"]30" is the largest l've ever heard of (which has been confirmed as real ). l own a 26" Paiste Stambul.[/COLOR]

For their 350th aniversiery Zildjian made a few 32" cymbals. I personally saw 2 of them for sale at Drums Limited in Chicago. Prior to that I know they made some 28" cymbals during the last large stamp era. I personally saw 2 of those. And finally I once also saw 30" and 28" trans stamps both owned by the same drummer.

Posted on 14 years ago

I own a 30" Zildjian and a 28" I play them both in my Hobby band. I've seen 26's and a friend of mine had a china cymbal that was at least 30 if not more. I've never heard of anything made by Zildjian, Paiste, etc over 30" I look for them so I think it's probable the one you were talking about was a 30"

Rock like a big dawg!
Posted on 14 years ago

From tgregorek

I own a 30" Zildjian and a 28" I play them both in my Hobby band. I've seen 26's and a friend of mine had a china cymbal that was at least 30 if not more. I've never heard of anything made by Zildjian, Paiste, etc over 30" I look for them so I think it's probable the one you were talking about was a 30"

Nope. They were 32". Made for that one year only.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here