Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

best way to repair small crack by cymbal hole on a 602 ride

Just bought an old 602 cymbal and it has a small (less than 1/2 inch crack off the bell hole.just wanted to know what the best repair would be on this? or if i should just leave it alone??Seems like i am obscessed with old damaged 602's lately.Bought a 602 ride like a week ago with a large keyhole,but it sounds great,now this one came along,same ride with a tiny crack (much smaller than the keyhole on the other one) got it really cheap!!you can never have enough 20" early 602's

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]A good deal, because when folks see hole cracks they head for the hills...BUT, of course, if a cymbal is gonna have a crack...off of the hole is the best, most stable place for it to be. Lotsa metal up there on the bell.

Choices:

1) Using a metal-appropriate drillbit, drill a tiny hole at the end of the crack, and rest assured it will NEVER go anywhere ever again. Just use a magnifying glass to locate the true end of the crack...it might not be exactly where the naked eye is showing it is. I am talking a small drill bit....Smaller than 1/16", for example.

2) Get some JB Weld and using a watercolor paintbrush, apply a nice bead of it along the underside of the crack and go beyond the end of the crack about 1/8".

3) Use a Dremel with the grinder bit, and actually make a "keyhole" out of the crack. Finish it off with a fine round file or a rolled up peice of 110gr sandpaper to smooth out. This is the most brutal solution, but also the only one which removes the crack forever. I usually don't do this with a crack which is longer than 1/4", however.

4) As you said, live with it. Mark the end w/a Sharpie and from time to time check if the crack has lengthened.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jaye!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here