Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Best cymbals...

What in your opinions are the best sounding cymbals ever made? Also anybody know a good zildjian cymbal model timeline from the 50's to the 80's?

I'd say that my favorite hi-hats are Stevie Wonder's on "Sunshine of My Life" as well as the ride. Whereas my favorite crashes are modern day Paiste Signature full crashes 16 and 18. Do you know what hats and rides were used by Stevie Wonder?

Posted on 16 years ago

Thats a good question, I would like to know myself.

Posted on 16 years ago

Paiste 602's... that was easy!Yes Sir

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

602s were some super amazing cymbals, and is why they command some pretty high prices. My favorites though, is the classic Avedis line from the 50s and before, when they were nice and thin. They don't go for that much either making them not so much of a hastle to collect :)

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

I have a 1950's Big Block stamp 24 inch Zildjian ride cymbal that is the coolest ride I have ever owned, period. I have an EAK that is a close second, although I have never owned an Istanbul K......

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Tough question to answer - It's like saying which drums are best?

I think the question begs another question or two.

What style of music do you play?

What kind of sound are you after?

If i were playing live rock un-mic'd, I wouldn't use K's, for example. On the other hand, If I'm doing a blues/jazz gig, then I'd leave my SUPER heavy 22" A Zildjian ride at home and take my 22" thin-by-comparison Dream Bliss ride.

If you record frequently, then you should know that most engineers prefer thinner cymbals. They record better in MOST situations.

I've tried out some amazing sounding cymbals that I just couldn't bring myself to buy because I'd probably never use them. I was also in a studio recently where the owner had a pile of really nice, high end Paiste cymbals I could use. I played them all and didn't like any of them better than the medium to low end cymbals I brought with me.

More expensive doesn't always mean better and old Zildjian K's, as sweet as they are, are not the best cymbval for every application ;)

my $0.02

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

I mostly play jazz and I prefer thin cymbals that can be both ridden and crashed. I avoid the "one trick pony" cymbals...except for the one flat ride that I have. It's an extra-heavy A Zlidjian Flat Top ride brilliant finish (20") with a lot of bow. It weighs about ten pounds (not kidding!). All it does is go "ping, ping, ping"...but I need that sound for what I do, so I love it. Most anyone else would probably hate it.

I also have one half of an old pair of orchestral cymbals "French Symphonic" is what they were, I think. One got trashed. I took the other one - early A. Zildjian was the line. It's extremely thin and has a big "bite" taken out of the edge where it started to crack years ago. I had to file out the center hole, too since it was too small to fit on a standard cymbal mount. Most people would hate it. I love it.

I have a mish-mash of Zildjians (no old K's though), Ufip, Paiste, unknown brands, etc. They all sound different, but I like them all.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

hey o-lugs....

good question...

after seeing the video tape of the factory in action, and the guys hand hammering (with hand held hammers, not machines) all day, after day...and, then trying out those hand made, made with human sweat and blood, cymbals, there was no way i could honestly not be a believer.....

istanbuls are the best by far and above any other cymbal in the world.....without peer.......personal opinion only, taste is relative.......

they must be pre-split, green silk screen logo.....each is a unique individual instrument.

you got to go through them to find you sound, however if you know what you want it to sound like, and your sound is in your head.....you can and will find exactly what you're looking for.

i've given them all a go, and with the others, one allways has to settle for the one that is the most like what's in ones head....

with istanbuls, the time era mentioned, they where pure magic....

if you have not tried the pre-split green logo istanbuls, you owe it to yourself to walk into a cymbal room with several of them in it, and start whacking them, when you hit the one that's yours, you won't be able to leave without it....

i know, it's crazy talk.......well, check it out for yourself...

i have complete sets of sabians and ziljians, and istanbuls.....i LOVE my istanbuls more than both others put together.

and the cymbals that make up the other sets where hand picked, and hand made as per my standards....

nothing better than hand made instruments, they always have that something extra.

like fresh fruit, over frozen, something like that

and the beat goes on....
http://dpdrums.com
dig the beat....
Posted on 16 years ago

Paiste 602's while excellent cymbals would have to take a back seat to the Paiste Sound Creation line ( also B20 alloy) The dark rides and dark heavy sound edge hihats are amazing.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here