Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Best cymbals

I'm looking for a vintage ride with amazing tone, does anybody have any suggestions on what the best cymbals were? I specifically love the cymbal tone that Stevie Wonder gets in the early to mid 70's as well as the tone that Lynyrd Skynyrd gets on "I Know A Little," I think that's the name, but I don't know what kind of cymbals they use. I'm looking to spend about $300, too. Let me know.

Posted on 17 years ago

If you're looking for a certain sound, I would try the local music store. Sound files on lines just sound different than the real thing in person. I have a Zildjian 21 inch Sweet Ride that has lots of wash, and a bell that cuts but is not overpowering. Lots of "tah" when riding the middle, and tons of wash on the ends. Some players are even using it as a crash. There is also a new Zildjian Armand Series ride that they are advertising as a vintage sound. Heard one for myself, and it was not too bad.

Good luck in your search.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

I purchased a 22" Manhatten Jazz ride from Sabian maybe 2 years ago, and I gotta say it is the best ride I have ever played on. It is washy enough (obviously) for the jazz, yet the 'tah' cuts through well enough for classic rock and more. The bell is a little quieter than I'd like, but I can deal with it. The problem is that no one stocks this cymbal in a store, or at least around me. I did listen to it online, but honestly is sounds 10x better in real life than on the computer. The ride is in the HHX line, and will probably run you between $300 and $375.

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 17 years ago

I agree,the Sabian Manhattan's are great. I have a Sabian 20" Manhattan Ride that works in a lot situations.

However, I prefer my 21" Sabian HH Vintage Ride for Blues, Rock and Funk. It's similar to the Zildjian Sweet Ride, but a little bit darker. Nice controlable sound. nice cushion of wash and plenty of stick definition. Bell cuts great too. Very versatile cymbal, but not many stores carry that model.

As far as vintage cymbals go, I am of the opinion that older A Zildjians are the way to go. K's are pricey, but for the kind of music that you mentioned (soul, rock, funk) older A's are better suited. The older, the better. I also think that the tarnish actually darkens the sound and makes them sweeter. I have a couple old A Med Thin and Thin crashes that are tough to beat. Check your local drum shops and/or pawn shops for used cymbals. Good ones can be found for much cheaper than new (and usually sound hipper too).

Vintage early Sabians are pretty nice too, but much rarer. Good luck in your search!

-Chris

Posted on 16 years ago

A first generation Paiste Giant Beat or 2oo2 ride would also be a good selection IMHO.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here