Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Benny barth

Benny on the cymbal: “A good ride cymbal will have all the tones of the diatonic scale in it. It will get better for maybe twelve years and then it might go dull and you have to find a new one.”

1 attachments
Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 8 years ago

Wow! Interesting theory...I notice in the pic he's got a cut-away repair to his left-side cymbal...

Is this Benny in the clip here?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpIpHVkiIg"]Mel torme - We've Got a World That Swings - YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 8 years ago

That's him...

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 8 years ago

i dont think thats true as i haved owned pies for a long time and they seem to get better with age especialy the quality bronze, grant it if they are dirty they will not sound quite as nice...

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago

I suppose the key word in Benny's statement is "might". :) Dull-in-twelve-years hasn't been my experience either...

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Cymbals don't go dull after twelve years. Although a drummer's ability to hear them as well as he used to might dull a bit after 12 years of playing.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here