Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Avedis indentification

Hello. For some reason I can't get any other pics I have to upload. I have a few with stamps but I keep getting file errors. So anyway. 18" avedis zildjian 1502 grams. Badge is an inch and a quarter top to bottom. I believe it is 1950s stamp. Great weight versatile washy and dark. Picked it up with the wmp jazzfest in my other post.

1 attachments
101.4 kB
"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 8 years ago

Ok. Got that file to work.

1 attachments
118.7 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like a late 50s Small Stamp (Hartrick/Drumaholic original typology), and subtype SSB (recent subdivision). Here's my detailed work on how to tell:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#small

In addition, the lathing (especially the treatment of the bell with that fine lathing) is classic late 50s:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/bells.html

although it also appears on other 1950s cymbals. Similarly the variation in the distance between the grooves on the bow of the cymbal is more prevalent in the 1950s production era. I haven't written up a page about lathing other than on the bell. But I have written up hammering, so you can compare what you see with that page:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/hammering.html#h-late-50s

although you may need to scroll up rather than jump into the middle like this to understand the terminology I'm using and get a feel for how things vary over the years. Your two photos don't give me any hint of what style of hammering might be there. Rather than struggle with the new lower limits for image file sizes, etc, you might just be able to hold the cymbal in your hands and see what you can see.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I've got two Jazz Festivals as well! Both of mine are WMP. Lovely find.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks zenstat. Very informative. After reading and looking closer and measuring zildjian co. I'm sure you are right about the ssb late 50s stamp. Hammering didn't show up so much in the pics but it definatly looks hand done and not perfect concentric circles. I appreciate the time you took to help me out! Thanks again,Ryan

Posted on 8 years ago

50's for sure. That looks like a nice cymbal. I used to shy away from anything over 1450g but I've had a few in the weight range as this one and they are very nice sounding and explosive. The last one I had was very thin at the edges and flexible.

For some reason the slightly heavier 18's work well while a slightly heavier 16 (1100g+) just don't do it for me.

Congrats on a nice find,

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

That's a 50s stamp...

Funny thing is ...I have 2 of those...at 1550g & another at 1725g..

The heavier cymbal is a perfect ride Cym that's crash able...

And the lighter is ok,...

I use these with my cocktail kit...great cyms..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 8 years ago

Yeah. I have a heavier 18" as well 70s stamp. Also great as a ride that is crashable. but this 50s stamp is the bees knees and my new favorite. Be good,Ryan

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here