Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Atlas Hihats

Hello, everyone! I have a pair of Atlas Hihats, made by UFIP. Not really sure of the year, I am going to assume late 70's early '80's, just due to the fact they came with my drum kit when I bought them. I have pics, but they are too big to post on here. A couple of questions....

One: Are Atlas/UFIP good? I LOVE my hats...theyre nice and loud, have a good response, and a nice "chick" when closed tight. I primarily use them closed, but loose, as I play a lot of double bass. I have a drop clutch, but dont really like it.

Two: Whats the best care for them? Right now, I use Sabian cymbal cleaner to clean them about every 3-4 months, depending on how they're looking at the time. I cleaned them last night, as there were a lot of finger prints and smudges on them. Is that too often?

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have had some of those come thru here. They were pretty respectable.

You are correct, I believe they are UFIP-made from the period you noted.

Are they B8 alloy ? The ones I have had were B8's, and pretty decent ones, too.

Sabian cleaner is fine; it's a good choice, actually...if your goal is to keep 'em clean and shiny. Every few months is also fine.

Or...you could also just let them patina over time. In this instance, their sonic character would mellow a bit...the brightness would be diminished a tad. They would also not be shiny anymore :o[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Im not sure if they are B8 or not...how can you tell? Im going to lean towards no, because I have Sabian B8 16" crash, and the make up is comepletely different...different color, different sound, thicker in general.

When the hats start to oxidize, they turn a kind of orange color...thats when I think it may be time to clean them up...Im just starting to get familiar with the different alloys in the cymbals, so I still have some things to learn...like the differece in the metals used.

Thanks for the help, Jaye

Posted on 13 years ago

B8 is typically copper-y looking, like the Sabian B8's or Paiste 2002's. B20 is typically more 'blonde' looking, although it ages to a green or coffee color.

They could well be B20 if it doesn''t have a coper hue to 'em...

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Then they are definetly B20, because they are nowhere near the same color as my B8 cymbal. Definetly much lighter in color, but they do start to get a little bit of a darker, copper-ish color about 2 -3 months after I clean them up....but as soon as I spray them down with cleaner, the hue disappears. Thanks again for the help.

Chewie:

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here