Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Anybody played or heard the new 3ply Ludwig "Legacys"??

if so, how do they sound??

Posted on 16 years ago

I have not, but...Here is my theory:

They will be noticeably heavier than their true vintage counterparts. The glues and wraps will be different and the construction techniques used to make them will be completely different. They will be slightly under-sized in comparison to the vintage ones, so I suspect that they will use gaskets under the lugs (and the lugs, themselves, are also not exactly the same) which will alleviate splaying of the tension rods. The bearing edges will be cut more accurately.

All this adds up to a modern shell (and drum) that resembles a vintage shell/drum. It's like making a Supra from a welded titanium shell or putting a Ferrari engine into a Corvette body. Some might consider these things as "improvements", but...they are the very type of "improvements" that ultimately detract from the soul of what made the original what is was. It's like a Stepford wife 3-ply shell!Burger Kin (please quote me on that!) Burger Kin

None of the cool, old hardware aspects will be the same, either. I think everything will be "beefed up". I would be curious to do a side-by-side weight comparison between a real vintage shell and a Legacy shell...and then assemble the hardware and compare that, too! I think the differences would be...well...very enlightening! heh hehMister T

And...They cost too much money!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

btwn $5000 and $6600 list depending on the configuration.........yikes

Posted on 16 years ago

"yikes" is right!

The irony? It's still possible (if you're patient) to find a REAL vintage Ludwig kit for thousands LESS!DOH

So...to answer the original question "How do they sound?": They'll sound....GREAT (probably). Will they sound like the original vintage kits? No.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah well I guess nobodys heard them yet, as far as the price, in my neighborhood you can get drums for close to 50% off, if you compare the prices of the new Gretsch USA custom & Slingerland stuff in the same sizes the Legacy stuff comes in, its about the same. The DW stuff is just a little cheaper My biggest objection to the Legacy stuff is that you cant get it in "Classic"(8x12, 16x16, 14x22 etc., etc.) sizes. Oh yeah,you would think if they were gonna go through the trouble of marketing this stuff as some kind of vintage throwback, they'd at least use the classic lugs instead of the mini lugs...Soap Box

Posted on 16 years ago

They plan on making the Legacy model in stock sizes,eventually.They're just testing the market right now.Low mass lugs are the "in" thing currently for some.Ludwigs been putting minis on a lot of their retro sets.For the bucks you're going to lay out for a kit....I'm sure they'll accommodate you if you want the larger classics.Btw ,have you noticed Sam Ash has lowered the price by 1k on the stainless Bonham kit?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here