Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Antique Chinese lion cymbal, tiny hole

I have a great 13 inch antique lion cymbal that seems to predate the earliest of traps. I'm guessing that because of the hole size. The hole is so small that my Leedy cymbal stands from the 1920s won't accomodate it. It's so tight, I cant even use tape around the mount as a cushion! It appears to be 7/32. I would like to use it for gigging because of the fabulous tone. I have an old hanging cymbal stand, but the hardware for that is too big also. I think hanging it by a shoelace with a button might be the best idea if I want to preserve the integrity. I'm really against reaming the hole at all. Any thoughts?

Posted on 13 years ago

I would hang it by a leather shoelace.....more wear resistant and it preserves the hole.

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 13 years ago

i have one a litle earlyr and i was thinking they just lay on the stan or u can drill it as i like the tone mine has asian writing on it nice

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 13 years ago

Why not just make an adapter piece, with bits from the local hardware store? You can make a piece that screws onto your existing stands. Just a thought.

The cymbal looks cool.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

Maybe hang it on a strap from an arm or a boom stand on something like a Gibraltar "Gong Cymbal Stand Mount Hook"? The little hook seems to run about four bucks from most online shops.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

How abut a vintage Sonor stand? The older Sonor cymbal stands have smaller threads, not sure of the size, but they are pretty small. That way you dont have to ream the hole in the cymbal, or drill new ones to hang it from a strap like a gong...

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago

He wouldn't have to drill holes to suspend it from a strap. You can suspend from the center hole -- it's actually not uncommon for orchestral suspended cymbals. I was suggesting he use the Gibraltar hook above to hang the cymbal similar to the attached image.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I bought a kit from the 20s with a suspended cymbal stand, so I will be hanging it there when it comes in. I used the cymbal Tuesday at my weekly gig by hanging it from an extra temple block arm I had. My string is a sunglasses strap. Again, I don't know why my pictures are alway rotated 90CCW.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I like the gibraltar hanger. A fat leather shoelace would be more durable. It sounds great swinging and reverberating.

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here