Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Another Ajaha

Very strange day. I've posted my 22" Ajaha Ride here before, and along with the other damaged one I have, they are the only Ajaha cymbals I'd ever seen. Until today. Lo and behold when I walked into my favorite pawnshop today... another 22" Ajaha Ride. It's not as shiny clean as mine, the ink stamp is a tad faded, but no cracks or keyholing, and from the few seconds I got to hit it, it had the same unmistakable low-key wash sound as mine.

Anyhow, we've had both a car repair and plumbing bill this week so I had to put it on layaway, but in a couple weeks I'll pick it up... can't wait!

Cassidy

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]Cool....those ink-stamped ones are almost always winners.

They were HOT items for a while there...I own about a half-dozen and all are top-notch B20's....but I think they have faded a bit into obscurity again, more recently.

...do post a pic when you finally get 'er home.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

so these are the Italian made Ajaha's? ---apparently both UfIP and Tosco were responsible for them.

Posted on 13 years ago

A little follow-up here... last night I finally got to play the two Ajaha's side by side. I'm still grinning. Number one is definitely lower in tone and will build to a roar with the wash/sustain. It sounds great and always has.

But number two (the new one) is very different, much more controlled, doesn't overpower you with wash, and sounds magnificent. I figured since they were both 22" medium rides that they'd be very similar - I was so wrong! They're way different. It also didn't take long and I realized they both sound awesome when crashed. How cool would that look...having two 22" crash cymbals?

Also, number two shows a lot more hammering than number one. I bought number two thinking I'd try and swap it for a ping ride or dry ride... now I think I'll keep it.

Any comments about other Ajaha experiences?

Cassidy

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]I have a pair of 22's which are also like this. One shows heavier hammering, the other heavier lathing. They are both great rides, really. They do sound different, although their weights are w.i 100g of each other. The lathed one is crisper, with most overtones in the midrange and some up high; the hammered one is darker with very little high overtones at all.

I also have an 18" medium which I was very disappointed with when I first played it. It was really, really unresponsive as a ride. After quite a while, I started just crashing it and .... ecco la !....realized it was probably a straight-up crash cymbal, because it works extremely well as a medium-crash.

I team the 22's and the 18 up with a pair of 13" 'hats and it is really as good a set of B20's as almost anything else I have....

Sounds like you got a pair of winners, there.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Finally took some pix of the newest pie... I really love it!

Cassidy

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here