Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Ajax Cymbal

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post on here, i'm sorry if this question has already been answered.

I have a 18inch Ajax cymbal I have had since I first started playing. I bought it from my tutor for not much at all. I am just wondering how old it would be and a rough idea of how much I should sell it for as i'm looking at selling all my old gear.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Emily

Posted on 11 years ago

I don't have the answer Emily, but somebody here will soon.

Welcome! from another another new member.

Feel free to let us know what other old gear you are selling.

Posted on 11 years ago

Please add pics including pics of the stamp on your cymbal. This will give us something to work with so we can answer your question. What I can tell you is that they were made by Boosey and hawkes/Edgeware in the UK in the mid 60's till sometime in the 70's (not a lot of info online as to when they ended production). They are made of bronze (B8?) and are considered low end cymbals, so even if they are vintage they don't have much resale value...Though some people claim that they own rare good ones, much like Zyn or Krut cymbals.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 11 years ago

I think that's english cymbals 60's for cool jazz or entry level, made from nickel-silver NS-12 alloy as Zyn (not Super Zyn), Trowa, Paiste-402, Sabian Garbage, Meinl Streamer and etc.

George.

Posted on 11 years ago

welcome to the forum, Emily. Ajax, were as George says, made from nickel silver alloy and were an entry level cymbal. I have 2 of the 18" versions and one is lousy and the other surprisingly good. I keep them more for demonstration, than anything else. The lousy one is thinner and is covered in all kinds of dents and rimples along the edge----it already had them when I acquired it in 1967. The other one appears to have had it's share of use but is still dent free and the edge is straight.

These cymbals were cut and spun from sheet stock that was purchased from a jobber. My guess is that either the sheet stock was variable, possibly made with a lot of recycled material, or Boosey & Hawkes changed suppliers, because at some point, the cymbals changed in quality but their overall look didn't. If your cymbal is pretty much dent free, you might have one of the good ones( they sound a lot like a good K, with a nice dark wash, overlain by a solid precise ping., when played as a ride.). ......it's value? despite whether it sounds good or not, Ajax aren't anywhere near the top of anyones list, when it comes to cymbal acqusitions, so don't expect much more then 40 or 50 $ for it.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here