Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Ajaha 15" hi-hats

Ajaha 15" hi-hats each weighing 870 grams.One has a stamp-like signature,the other is stamped "Made in Italy".They seem to radiate out from the center and on the underside of the cymbals where the bell starts to go to the flat of the cymbals they have a flat,almost sharp edge.The sound of each when hit with a stick is quite crisp and shimmery, very jazzy and articulate.Any information on collectability and value would be greatly appreciated.I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon them.Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

I honestly know very little about them ... other than what I've been taught by Jaye and a few others on the forum here. Do a site search and educate yourself a bit on these. They are pretty cool. I picked up a 20 inch ride that is sweet. I've been looking for a 22 and a set of 15 inch hats to complete the set. So, I can tell you they are neato cymbals and I like 'em. I picked up my ride for 30 bucks - obviously under value. If you should ever wish to trade them away, please keep me in mind. Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Those were likely the UFIP-made stencils in the '70's. B20, handmades. Nice cymbals.

15" 'hats ? Those are pretty unusual...I have only seen 14's and 13's.

VERY light for 15's, also. Those would fetch about $200-250 on eFlay. They sound like they are very nice.

I penned a description of Ajaha which I believe still survives on wikipedia...despite the pimply-faced-tennage-wiki-gestapo's attempts at every turn to gut it.

If you like 'em, keep 'em...they will only go up in value.

If not your bag...I'll also be happy to buy 'em from you, or trade something maybe....although I would allow McJ dibs if you wanna sell.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes - they've been around for a while.

Gretsch for one carried them. They're in some of their old catalogs. They were advertised as "Turkish-Type" cymbals.

Also in the 58 catalog Gretsch announced for "fourty years American drummers ranked these cymbals second only to K Zildjians for tone & brilliance."

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Haha...I have a 1941 Gretsch catalog which states they have been "the choice of serious percussionists for almost 30 years".

At least they were consistent in advertising 'em.....

But the ink-stamped signature ones are definitely from the late '60's-70's.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the info.870 grams each is correct, and they are 15" . I'm going to attempt to post some pictures,I hope they help.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Very pretty....[/COLOR] Clapping Happy2

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here