Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Acrolite Snare Problem

Hello everyone,

I've recently started playing a mid 70's Ludwig Acrolite snare drum. The problem I am having is that the snare wires gradually loosen while I'm playing. It's gotten to point that I have to tighten the throw between every song.

Any advice on securing the snare?

Thanks in advance,

Posted on 15 years ago

Are you using tape or string? If you are using tape...use a different tape. If you are using string...loop the string around the tighen screws and double the pass through the attach piece.

Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

Are you using tape or string? If you are using tape...use a different tape. If you are using string...loop the string around the tighen screws and double the pass through the attach piece.

I am using string. Thanks, I will try that. The main problem I am having is that the snare adjustment screw spins out while I'm playing which in turn lowers the wires.

Thanks again,

Posted on 15 years ago

From dds4

the snare adjustment screw spins out while I'm playing which in turn lowers the wires.

Spins??? That don't sound right. I don't play an acrolite, but I do play luddy snares (and a bunch of others) with different types of strainers. I've never had a strainer tension knob spin on me. Sumpin' ain't rite.

Well, let's think about this. The knob sits upright towards the batter head. It spins due to the vibrations of playing. You have to lock it in place. The only stable surface available is the tension screws from the lugs on both sides of the strainer. You need something that has good friction so it won't slip.

Got it.

For a quick and very cost effective fix:

You could rig a simple rubber band mechanism to it. Get a thicker rubber band and single loop it through the lug tension screw as an attachment point. The remaining loop should stretch out to the strainer tension knob. Double loop it around the grooved top. Do the same thing with an identical rubber band from the opposite side of the strainer. That will even the pull on the knob and will keep it from damaging it. That will keep it from spinning under some heavy hitting.

This should work. Give it a try and let me know.

Michael

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here