Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

? about the 1970's Zildjian stamp

[FONT="Arial Black"]Does anyone know why some of the Zildjian cymbals that came out in the 1970's did not have the " Made in the USA" ( or Canada) stamp?....I had read somewhere, (not sure if this is true), that the reason they did this is because they had a plant up here in Canada, but many of them were still sent from the Zildjian factory in Massachusetts for the finishing touches, so it left it up in the air as to where they were really made....Again, something I read on another drum forum, have no idea if there is any truth to that........Maybe one of you Zildjian experts can explain it![/FONT]

Posted on 13 years ago

The AZCO factory was in Canada (I believe Nova Scotia). They made some of the lower end brands there and when production in Mass. reached its peak they were sending them to the Great White North for finishing.

If I am not mistaken this is where Sabian started after the split.

Posted on 13 years ago

I bought a few mid 70's Zildjians new and I remember seeing the Made in USA stamp on them. Most were bought from Sam Ash in White Plains NY and PPC in NYC. New beat 15" hi hats, Rock 21" ride, 20" China type and a 16" crash. 73-76 timeframe if I had to pin point the years. And I'm certainly no expert. LOL.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 13 years ago

With A. Zildjian cymbals, oddball stamps such as double stamps or missing Made in USA are not necessarily associated with a particular era. In any year the guy in the factory might have had a few too many the night before.

The Canadian made K’s made in the late 70’s did not always have Made in Canada.

I had read somewhere, (not sure if this is true), that the reason they did this is because they had a plant up here in Canada, but many of them were still sent from the Zildjian factory in Massachusetts for the finishing touches,

At the time, the Azco factory did cold work only. The cymbal blanks were produced in the USA and shipped to Canada for hammering and lathing. This was the case with the Zilco, A. Zildjian and K. Zildjians made in Canada.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here