Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

ABBA - (lack of) cymbals

I was driving this morning and an old ABBA tune popped on the radio - it made me think about their drummer's lack of crash cymbal usage. Does anyone know the reason why they hardly ever used crashes on their recordings? Just as a matter of interest. I found it rather effective - listening to their songs as a drummer - as you anticipate a crash after a fill and .... nope, straight back onto the hats he goes :)

Cheers

Erik

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 9 years ago

Less is more as they say and with those vocals and arrangements who needs a bin lid getting in the way? The Band

Posted on 9 years ago

That is very true Gary. I googled the guy, Ola Brunkert and found that he died in 2008 after having fallen through a glass door at his home in Majorca, Spain, slitting his throat! Very sad indeed!

Drums: Ludwig / Star / Tama / Yamaha
Snares: Arai /Mapex / Ludwig / Slingerland / Star / Tama
Cymbals: Meinl / Paiste / Tosco / Wuhan /Zildjian / Zyn
Posted on 9 years ago

Can you hear the crash Fernando..? not quite the same ring to it...;)

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Beach Boys too. Almost no cymbals and minimal when present.

Posted on 9 years ago

Cymbals are what drummers use to ruin an otherwise perfect drum sound.

- Michael Tretow, Recording Engineer for ABBA

Posted on 9 years ago

Funny because Dancing Queen is all about the cymbals. One of my favorite bands of all time though.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

Speaking of lack of cymbals ,saw a Genesis bio the other day and Phil Collins was talking about the album he did with Peter Gabriel and wanted him to use no cymbals at all.

Self titled Peter Gabriel album I believe.

Posted on 9 years ago

From pgm554

Speaking of lack of cymbals ,saw a Genesis bio the other day and Phil Collins was talking about the album he did with Peter Gabriel and wanted him to use no cymbals at all. Self titled Peter Gabriel album I believe.

That was his third album, the one with "Intruder", "Biko", and "Games Without Frontiers". Not a cymbal to be found on the whole LP. Not Phil, not Jerry Marotta, nada.

It's funny when you consider that Gabriel started out on drums.

As for ABBA, I have never heard a place where a crash was missing, to my ears anyway.

Beach Boys? I have no quote, but my understanding is that Brian Wilson is not a fan of cymbals.

Dan

Posted on 9 years ago

Their song DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW has some crash's in it. That's the only song I can think of. I know there's more.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here