Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

A. Zildjian question

I've been having this cymbal for quite a number of years and am considering selling it along with a few others that I have just lying around. It's an 18", 1440g, lots of patina, very dark and dry, from the 60's. My main question is, has anyone ever seen a keyhole of this size in a cymbal before. I was told when I got it that it was most likely man-made. Not really sure what the purpose would be though. And how much will this affect the value of the cymbal.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

It probably started out smaller and someone cut and drilled it to prevent it from cracking. It does look like it was done naturally though doesn't it? Who knows. I think it will affect the value a lot to be honest.

Posted on 14 years ago

ill betcha my lunch money that cymbal was cracked and some one did an elementary job repairing it.

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Was likely a crack emanating from the mount hole which someone filed out.

Unfortunately, I agree w/ LL....you won't get hardly anything for that cymbal.

$40 if you are very very lucky. Conventional keyholes tend to scare people off...so this condition is a real downer for most buyers. Too bad in a way because I am sure it has zero effect on sound or performance of the cymbal, and it's a pretty nice weight for an 18".....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna stick it up on ebay with a sound bite and see what happens.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here