Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

A. Zildjian Historians/Geeks/Fans etc.-Trying to timelime modern ink stamps

I know it's more or less a crap shoot identifying engraved stamps on A. Zildjians prior to 1977 or so, including some random and various ink stamps like "Thin", "Dance", "Top Hi-Hat" etc. I'd like your help on this filling in some holes, noting odd anomalies that I haven't mentioned etc.

I do know that they started standardizing the ink stamps with the "hollow logo" or "hollow ink" era, which to the best of my knowledge went from 1977 to 1983. Zildjian did not date their catalogs back then, so I have an old catalog with hollow logos shown, but no date, not even a small copyright date! So the 77 to 83 range is just a guess. The hollow logo was just designating the model on the top in block stamp lettering (no size or other word mark) and a hollow, outlined, non-colored in Zildjian logo on the bottom. Two curious notes from my personal collection:

1. All the Zildjian logos were the same size, be it a 12" splash or a 22" ride. The only exceptions being 8" and 10" splashes. I have both an 8" and 10" Hollow Logo Era splash (both just say "Splash" on the top in the era appropriate block lettering). The 8" has no logo on the bottom, and the 10" has a small, colored in Zildjian logo on the bottom. It looks to be original, and does not appear to be the handiwork of an over-zealous previous owner and a Sharpie. It has faded with the patina of the cymbal, and the logo is so small, the ink is just too perfect for it to be done by a human hand.

2. I have a Hollow Logo 22" Swish, and the top is stamped "Swish" in the era appropriate block lettering, but is also stamped "Medium Thin" in the skinnier, older type lettering. Weird.

In 1984, A. Zildjians began the "Block Stamp" era, which was the same block lettering as the hollow logo era, but with a size indicated and Zildjian logo on the top of the cymbal. The bottom of the cymbal had a much larger and colored in Zildjian logo (at least 16" and up were much larger on the bottom). I believe this era went until 1994-1995, right around the time Zildjian started putting ID numbers on the stamps. I know for sure by 1984 the A's were being stamped like this. I have Louie Bellson's "The Musical Drummer" on VHS (one of DCI's first instructional videos, if not THE first -since re-released on DVD) and that was recorded/released in 1984. Louie's A's are all block stamp in that video.

The next era is what I call the "Transitional Block Stamp". I believe it was only around for a year or two, in the mid-90's, again lining up with about the time Zildjian starting putting ID numbers on the stamps. This "transition" was the same as the block stamp, but with the addition of "Avedis" on top of the cymbal (the small, cursive A on top of the cymbal was not yet present). I own one transition block stamp, and it does not have an ID number. Most I have seen don't, although I thought I remember seeing a few that did. What say you?

Then came the "Cursive A" stamp, which went from the mid-90's until 2012. The font of the model lettering changed, and a small, cursive "A" was also added next to the model designation. The exception to this was the Armand Series, which had smaller Zildjian logos on the bottom, and did not have the word "Avedis" on the top of the cymbal, along with a slightly different font for the model designation. The Armand Series (save for the 19" "Beautiful Baby" ride) has been discontinued in 2013. As an aside, sometime in the late 90's, Zildjian began laser engraving the stamps and ID numbers into the cymbal, rather than just "stamping" them in.

That brings us to today, which I call the "Large A" era. "Avedis" has disappeared from the top of the cymbal, and the font to the model designation has changed again, along with a large, centered cursive A, much like on the A. Custom.

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, corrections, stories etc.

Thanks!

V

Posted on 11 years ago

Big topic. I've done some work in one little corner which I'm happy to share: the laser stamps and identifying the year from the first two letters:

ID - 1994 (first year of laser serials)

IE - 1995

IF - 1996

IG - 1997

IH - 1998

II - 1999

JJ - 2000 (CIE start)

JA - 2001

JB - 2002

JC - 2003

JD - 2004

JE - 2005

JF - 2006

JG - 2007 (Armands in, CIE out)

JH - 2008

JI - 2009

AJ - 2010 (CIE rarities year)

AA - 2011

AB - 2012

AC - 2013 (Armands out except BB, redesign A line)

and one presumes AD will be used for 2014. Thanks to Mike Tarrani who reposted the original list which was once on the Zildjan site many years ago. I've since taken it over and updated it as the years passed.

There you go. Definitely nerd stuff. Walking Please let me know if it needs any adjustments.

Posted on 11 years ago

Great work, zen!

Do you happen to know when the laser engraving of the trademark and ID numbers started? Also, did every A in 1994 get an ID number, or did they start in July, October etc?, (i.e. there could be some '94's without?).

Also, when you say "CIE", is that the vintage A. Zildjian and CIE (Vintage A's)that were available in limited sizes for a few years? If I remember right, they were ink stamped similar to the way K. Constantinoples are now.

Thanks, great work!

Posted on 11 years ago

From vyacheslav

Great work, zen!Do you happen to know when the laser engraving of the trademark and ID numbers started? Also, did every A in 1994 get an ID number, or did they start in July, October etc?, (i.e. there could be some '94's without?).Also, when you say "CIE", is that the vintage A. Zildjian and CIE (Vintage A's)that were available in limited sizes for a few years? If I remember right, they were ink stamped similar to the way K. Constantinoples are now.Thanks, great work!

Thanks. Glad it can help people.

Yes the CIE I noted are the "Vintage A Zildjian & Cie" series which have ink which is like the K Con ink. I just put it in the list in shorthand when somebody first asked about the years of the original production and the one year reprise as "rareties". It made sense to me to continue on and note the comings and goings of the Armands and the 2013 revamp.

And for clarity the "Vintage A Zildjian & Cie" aren't the earlier "A Zildjian & Cie" series which were the brilliants from the 1970s (I haven't got the years more precisely than that).

I've no idea when the serials started to appear during the year. It's the same issue with the Paiste 602 serial numbers in the early 70s, and in fact all the other stamp timeline dates for older decades. We call them "years" for convenience, but we really don't believe that things changed over at midnight at the end of December...

Forgot to add one factoid I've noticed, which is also a request for people to look at the serials on their Armands. All the Armands I've had reported so far are the JG = 2007 serial code. I suspect that Zildjian did a big production run that year and have been supplying them from the warehouse ever since. That would make sense in a factory setting because of the cost of shifting from producing one line to another, but that's a guess. If anybody comes up with an Armand which has a different year code that would be interesting. I'd expect that the Beautiful Baby might be the most likely model (especially since it remains in production). So anybody with Armands, you can help by examining your serial number/year code.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the info!Cool1

Posted on 11 years ago

I saw in the internet that the zildjian hollow ink logo cymbal was usually having zildjian logo on the top because i saw and advert from a mid seventies catalog.

Here's the picture:

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here