Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

A Zildjian Hi Hats

I came across a weird pair of Zils at a yard sale-- I didnt buy them-- but maybe I should have. The owner said they were from the 1950's or 60s and were 14 inches. The strange thing was that the bottom cymbal was sort of shaped like a "china" but somewhat shallower than what you typically see today. Anyone know what I'm talkng about?

Thanks.

Tom

Posted on 10 years ago

Maybe...could they have been a pair of these? Zildjian A "Flange" hats. Described as:

"A very thin, fairly rare pair of hi-hats. The bottom cymbal has a medium flange, designed for more contact and a crisper chip on lighter cymbals."

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/zildjian-1940s-flange-hihat-cymbals-570660g-p-10792.html

Posted on 10 years ago

Here is a photo for future reference when the link is invalid.

1 attachments
133.8 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks. Thats probably what they are. Since they didnt really catch on I guess they werent all that good.

Posted on 10 years ago

No...those are good. Very good. I've got a thin set from the 50s. Very versatile.

Posted on 10 years ago

Looks like Tom just might be making a trip back to the sale!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

I agree that it sounds like flanged hats. many had just the bottom flanged in that period. very desirable hats.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

And again, I've got a 50s pair of flange hats which are both 740g. They are very nice. I'd disagree with the Maxwell description "designed for more contact and a crisper chip ." What you get from the flange hats is more chup rather than a crisp chip. You want crisp chip (aka chick) you get New Beats. You want chup, you get these. I like the "chup" for some sorts of music.

The flange hats go back as far as the early 50s Trans Stamp period (see the Maxwell ones). They were reissued in the late 70s or 80s, but heavier then the 50s ones (as are most 70s or 80s cymbals compared to 50s cymbals). So I wouldn't count lasting all those years as "didn't catch on".

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here