Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

A. Zildjian & CIE Vintage Cymbals

Hello,

I know these were issued by Zildjian a few years back. To clarify, I'm talking about the series in the photo below, and NOT the brilliant finish ones from the 70's. Does anyone know the years they were available? I think they were discontinued once the Armand series was released.

I am trying to dig up some info on them. I've always dug their sound, and I recently picked up a lot consisting of 14" Hats, 15" Crash and a 20" ride.

As far as I know, they issued crashes in 14" ,15" 16" and 18" sizes, and the only other cymbals were a 20" Ride and 14" hats. Does that sound right?

I love the sound of these! I got the whole lot for $250 on Craigslist. Believe it or not, they were owned by a younger girl (early 20's) with short purple hair and a nose ring. She said that her father, a guitar player, had given them to her (she can't remember where her father got them from). She was asking $350 for all three, but she had been trying to sell them for awhile, and she accepted my $250 offer. Seeing the secondary market value on these, I think I got a good deal. Obviously, they have been discontinued for some time.

All the cymbals sound killer, and the 15" crash might be the best sounding crash cymbal I have ever heard! And that's saying a lot, because I'm in the camp that any crash smaller than 16" almost always sound too gongy and doesn't open up enough.

Thanks for the info!

V

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

On my timeline I have them as

2000 to 2007

plus a year as rarities

2010 (prefix AJ)

From memory the sizes you listed are the full set of offerings, but I haven't written all that up yet. I played on a few in the shop when they were still in production and I really liked them. And I'd grab a set of hats, 15" crash, and 20" ride if I came across them at that $250 price. Good buying. Good sounding. Enjoy.

Posted on 8 years ago

That's a nice score! Any idea what that 20" weighs? I bid on a 22 earlier this year, seems like that size was not a common size. Looked like a modern K-Constantinople.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

From gSonor

That's a nice score! Any idea what that 20" weighs? I bid on a 22 earlier this year, seems like that size was not a common size. Looked like a modern K-Constantinople.Gary

I haven't run across a 22" A Zildjian & Cie Vintage before. I'll have to watch out for one. I've certainly seen the 1970s A Zildjian & Cie (no vintage) in 22".

In terms of weights, the 20" ride is around 1900g (plus or minus 5% range), the 18" crashes are around 1200g, and the hats are light top (750-900g) over medium bottom (1100-1200g) like 1960s New Beats. But I haven't got a lot of weight data for the & Cie Vintage in my records, particularly for the 20" ride. And I don't have any weights for the smaller crashes. I thought I did but it's not in my main database. So anybody who has any A Zildjian & Cie Vintage cymbals and a way to weigh them...I'd love more weights. Weights for any sizes happily accepted.

In terms of hammering patterns, the A Zildjian & Cie Vintage have the standard Avedis concentric ring hammering using a single hammer face, versus the K style irregular pattern. So it would be easy to tell them apart once the ink is gone. That hammering link contrasts a K Custom versus a Armand as specific examples, but the pattern is the same.

Posted on 8 years ago

Hey zen,

I'll get those weighed and post back here tonight.

Here's an article I found regarding them, which is where I put all the sizes that they offered together. It looks like the first run of these were just 14", 15" and 16" crashes, according to the article, with a 20" Ride, 14" hats and an 18" crash being offered to supplement the originals. They don't mention a 22" at all. Maybe gSonor is thinking of a different cymbal?

Also, based on the date the article was written, it looks like the first year these were available was 2001.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20004-a-zildjian-cie-vintage-cymbals

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for your help. That link is great. I'll have to amend the year to indicate that different models were phased in, and write the full page on them with models and weights, rather than just the link to the one photo. That was just a place holder so that I had the ink logo showing somewhere in the timeline.

It's possible that gSonor came across a prototype or something unusual from the Sound Lab. But without pictures of what it was we will probably remain unsure. I've learned to never say never with Zildjian.

Posted on 8 years ago

Zen,

Here are the weights (in grams):

14" Hats: Top= 822 Bottom= 1184

15" Crash: 730

20" Ride: 1822

You were very accurate in your range estimations!

I love these cymbals!

Posted on 8 years ago

From vyacheslav

Zen,Here are the weights (in grams):14" Hats: Top= 822 Bottom= 118415" Crash: 73020" Ride: 1822You were very accurate in your range estimations!I love these cymbals!

Thanks for the weights, I'll add them to my database and I've made a note on my to do list to create the proper page for these. That 15" crash is deliciously light. No wonder people like the crashes so much.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here