Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

A big thank you to Gary K "Slingerland" 20" swish.....

Just wanted to give a big "Thank You" to Gary K "Slingerland" our forum member. A few weeks ago Gary posted about a 70's 20" Swish that was once owned by Billy Cobham. The thread is back a page or so now but I posted how cool it was to see stuff like that. Gary then sent me a PM and asked if I would be interested in it. The price was fantastic for a beautiful 20" Swish. The Cobham connection was a nice extra bonus. Gary contacted the seller (who I think he may have known at some point) and set up a time to go see and purchase the cymbal for me. I offered to send some extra $$$ for his time and trouble. Gary didn't want anything in return. And did a great job packing it for it's trip out east. I can't say enough about him and what a great guy he is!!! As a lifetime fan of Billy Cobham this is a very special thing for me. Thank you Gary I owe you a BIG favor. Cool1

Now here's the back story on the cymbal. Along with the Swish came a signed document from the Storage places owner stating it with some of Billy Cobhams gear was stored from 1980-1985 timeframe until the 2005. At which point Billy agreed to sign over ownership of this and other items to pay storage fees and whatnot. So kind of a interesting history. I was able to verify the cymbal I have is the exact cymbal pictured in the document. This much I do know.

I have since reached out to a few people to find more info on it. I've contacted the Storage place which is under new ownership. They are contacting the previous owner to pass along my questions and info. I also contacted Jeff Ocheltree via Facebook. I understand he was a tech for Billy in the early years. I just asked if he remembered anything about this. I still have not heard back from Jeff who I imagine is super busy. Last I contacted Billy Cobham through his website to see if he remembers it as well. He's on tour right now so it might be a while before I get a answer. I'll update this if and when I hear from people. I know Billy played a 22" swish early on. And at some point went to Sabian. This 20 may have been something Zildjian sent for him to try at some point? Not sure on that.

It's a fantastic sounding cymbal!! The Cobham connection is a added bonus. If not it's cool I have a great new Swish!! But most of all I wanted to give Gary a big Thank You once again!! A true class act.

I tried to find a pic of Billy with a 20" Swish. I found a youtube vid from the early 80's but it might be his 22" Hard to tell. I snapped a pic from the video.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Few more pics, 2 of it here in it's new home and 2 pics of Billy off youtube. soon as I'm able to documemt more I will. You can just about see the hollow ink stamp in pic 2 of Billy.

Thank you again Gary!! Hope I can somehow return the favor someday! ;)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Pretty cool all the way around,,,great drummer karma for sure.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here