Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

A beat-up old Zildjian with 16 rivets

Cosmetically, this thing is a mess..looks like it's been through a war. (Maybe it has.) It is 22 inches. It has 16 rivets (one rivet is missing). It's fairly heavy. I will need to figure out how to clean it. And the rivets appear rusty. Do you have any idea as to the value of this piece?

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Nice score. Just because its heavy doesn't mean anything bad. It could be a gem, but remove those rivets so you can really hear it. You'll need to do this before cleaning it anyway.

As for cleaning, here's what you do in this order.

1. Brasso followed by

2. Automotive parts cleaner followed by

3. Glass cleaner

That's the perfect system for me. No water necessary. This will clean your cymbal and leave no reside and no after cleaning oxidation either. Those areas that have green corrosion will need extra work with the Brasso.

Rivets are still an option so if you save those rivets, then you can add them later. 2 or 3 should be enough for any cymbal. I use only one on my 20" medium Bounce sizzle. You just place as many as you want into the holes and crimp a small square piece of duct tape on the backsides to them to keep them from falling out. That way you can easily adjust to the amount of sizzle you like or none at all if you wish.

Posted on 6 years ago

From Drumaholic

Nice score. Just because its heavy doesn't mean anything bad. It could be a gem, but remove those rivets so you can really hear it. You'll need to do this before cleaning it anyway.As for cleaning, here's what you do in this order. 1. Brasso followed by2. Automotive parts cleaner followed by3. Glass cleanerThat's the perfect system for me. No water necessary. This will clean your cymbal and leave no reside and no after cleaning oxidation either. Those areas that have green corrosion will need extra work with the Brasso.Rivets are still an option so if you save those rivets, then you can add them later. 2 or 3 should be enough for any cymbal. I use only one on my 20" medium Bounce sizzle. You just place as many as you want into the holes and crimp a small square piece of duct tape on the backsides to them to keep them from falling out. That way you can easily adjust to the amount of sizzle you like or none at all if you wish.

Off topic but you're hard to find. Have you seen the K a few rows down from Skins n the Game ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

I'd set the price at $220 or so.

It is mid-50's based on the stamp, but A's in general bring around $10/inch.

Member Zenstat (I think) has a running log of sales to keep current but my personal rule of thumb (buying or selling) is $10/inch. Better than that buying, I'm happy; better than that selling, I'm happy.

I'd like to hear it. I'm hoping it might be thin and crash-able, and if so, I'm interested.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 6 years ago

That's a really cool cymbal. Very reminiscent of Ginger Baker's main ride cymbal that he's used for his entire career, and still uses today.

Posted on 6 years ago

it looks great, not beat up at all, just a bit dirty

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 6 years ago

What is the best way to pull off the rivets?

Posted on 6 years ago

From JoeDrum22

What is the best way to pull off the rivets?

Just crimp the flared ends narrow enough with a pliers so you can get them to slide out. Cutting the ends off with a metal shears or wire cutters also works but it's harder to do it that way.

Posted on 6 years ago

I'd set the price at $220 or so.It is mid-50's based on the stamp, but A's in general bring around $10/inch.Member Zenstat (I think) has a running log of sales to keep current but my personal rule of thumb (buying or selling) is $10/inch. Better than that buying, I'm happy; better than that selling, I'm happy.I'd like to hear it. I'm hoping it might be thin and crash-able, and if so, I'm interested.

I've had a first look at price per inch for used Avedis Zildjian cymbals

[img]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/Abig-price-per-inch.png[/img]

as part of looking at whether larger diameter cymbals (over 22") get a premium price. They don't seem to. Price per inch (and price per cymbal) is fairly flat, especially if you extract those four outliers in the box in the upper right corner. This is based on around 900 sales, and there is further "didn't sell at the asking price" information which also indicates that those four outlier prices are unusual and don't contribute much to our general understanding of prices because they represent one off situations.

The quick overview says $10 per inch does pretty well except for

[LIST]

[*]Trans Stamps (more like $15-$20 per inch, especially once you get to 22")

[*]60s 24" cymbals which are light (under around 3000g)

[*]22" cymbals (and larger) have a higher price tail which extends up above $20 per inch and that might be related to both weight and production era but needs more investigation

[/LIST]

but I've got plenty more analysis to do including adding in smaller diameters. I suspect that you could do pretty well with $10 per inch rule of thumb, and you could improve the accuracy a bit by including additional information like production era and weight and condition. But as a buy price rule of thumb it would get you in the ballpark, although you might turn down a few Trans Stamp cymbals because they are out of the range. I'll have to see if a similar rule of thumb works for other manufacturers and vintages, possibly with a constant other than $10 plugged into the equation.

Meanwhile, the cymbal originally posted looks like it has a Large Stamp and for those I've got 75 completed sales to work with:

Large Stamp: $243 with half selling for between $189 and $293 n=75

So $222 from $10 per inch fits in nicely with that expected range.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here