Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

80's Ludwig kit questions

Hello. I'm a newbie here. I'm trying to figure out when my drum kit was made, and also which model in Ludwig's line-up it is. It is rather a unique kit. I have yet to see one like it. My toms don't even have lugs to mount bottom heads! However, I'm sure there are more like it somewhere! Anyone seen one?

I bought it used in 1994. I cannot recall specifically, but I believe the previous owner bought it new in the mid eighties. It features a 24" Bass drum, 14" & 15" toms, and a 17" floor tom. It is big and LOUD! I'll take a look at the badges next time I'm at rehearsal. Yes, I STILL play it. With a little love, some new heads, and after I dusted it off, it actually still sounds really good! Didi I say it was LOUD!

Can anyone out here help me figure out exactly which kit I have and when it was made? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Dan

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Welcome, Dan. Can you post a few pics, including the badge ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gray"]

...incidentally...that 17" FT....if it really is 17"...those are a BEAR to find heads for. I know of only 1 place in the country that may have any left in stock...otherwise they are special-order.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye,

thanks for the response. I will be rehearsing tonight and I'll snap a few shots.

Dan

Posted on 15 years ago

Here's a pic of my kit. The badges are blue & green. Any ideas?

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks to the Vintage Drum Guide, I think I've finally got it! My kit is a 5 piece 1982 Ludwig Sound Projector II. This site and forum are great!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Cool...now...those 17" heads...2112 Percussion, I think they are in NC or thereabouts. They are the only place in the country that has that size head.

Yes, yes, the Remo website shows they produce them,....and I think a couple of other websites (SamAsh and some others maybe...) have them in their online catalog...but nobody has 'em in stock and queries to Remo go unanswered (big surprise there).

I almost bought them out of their 17's a couple of years ago...but I didn't take 'em all. The boxes that came in the mail...original Remo boxes from the '80's, with an inch of dust on 'em; heads were NOS at least 15 years old !!!....Mind Blowi...so I gleaned that not many folks buy this sizeCoffee Break2[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here