Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

70's Zildjian Light Ride?

A few years back I picked up a lot of cymbals from a buddy. They included a 22" 70's Light Ride ( which has become my baby ) a set of 14" hats,a lone 13" hat, and a 20" ride. I contacted Zildjian and they told me the 22" was a light ride ( sounds the part ) the 13" they said was a top new-beat and they said the 20" was also a light ride. But when I've played it, it feels a lot more to me like a medium ride. Aside weight is there any way to tell? The weight is 1587.57 grams. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh - must mention. When I got this it had a linear crack which I cleaned out.

2 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 9 years ago

I feel that any ride cymbal under 100 grams an inch is fairly light. A 20 inch at 1600 grams is pretty light.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 9 years ago

You did a good job on that 20". That's a light one for sure. Can we get a pic of the stamp or is the pic you have posted of the actual one? If it is it's a 70's for sure.

I have one in that weight(1565g) with a smaller 50's stamp and it is a perfect crash/ride.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 9 years ago

The pic I posted of the stamp is the actual one on the cymbal. And yea my 22" is perfect for crashing and riding. Has such a sweet wash, but It never gets out of control or gets too washy. Thank you guys for the input, and thanks gSonor. That little repair got that ride sounding great again.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 9 years ago

Sounds like your 20'' is a paper thin, very cool!

Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

Different models have different bell diameters and heights. They also had an ink designation of model right from the 1930s, but alas the ink is almost always long gone.

A 20" at 1590g is likely to be a Crash based on my weight data. Yours looks like it has a relatively large bell diameter (and height -- although that's harder to judge in the pic). That's also a sign of a dedicated Crash model.

The usual bell diameter on a 20" ride would be 5.25", although some in the 1960s seem to be 5.5". Can you measure yours and see what it is? Knowing that might help.

There are larger diameter bells on dedicated crashes, as mentioned here:

[ame]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/1984Flyers.pdf[/ame]

but then some other models (rock rides, crash rides) can also have a larger bell for different sonic reasons. But the combination of very low weight and relatively larger bell on yours suggests a crash to me. Which doesn't match your report of the weight (1590g) yet the cymbal feeling like a Medium Ride at all. Something doesn't gel in the description.

I've got a larger bell Crash from the late 60s. It is an 18" and weighs 1250g. That's an equivalent weight to a 20" weighing what yours does.

From EricP

Sounds like your 20'' is a paper thin, very cool!

And yes, based on the weight yours could be a paper thin. Once again this is a model which had ink saying so right back to the 1930s:

[img]http://black.net.nz/cym2014/first-pthin.jpg[/img]

Posted on 9 years ago

I actually just sold the cymbal to a friend of mine. He saw it kicking around and asked about it and loved the sound. And he offered a fair price. I'll ask him to measure the bell though, that is something I didn't do. I did try and crash on it though when he bought it, since he was looking for a ride he could crash on. And while the sound wasn't bad, it didn't seem to have that " crash " vibe ( if that makes sense )

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 9 years ago

From ARCHxANGEL

I actually just sold the cymbal to a friend of mine. He saw it kicking around and asked about it and loved the sound. And he offered a fair price. I'll ask him to measure the bell though, that is something I didn't do. I did try and crash on it though when he bought it, since he was looking for a ride he could crash on. And while the sound wasn't bad, it didn't seem to have that " crash " vibe ( if that makes sense )

Thanks. It would be great to get the bell diameter, but don't sweat it if it's a hassle. I'm slowly accumulating measurements when I come across them to try and fill out the model picture so we can help people out with identifications once the ink has gone. Not an exact science, and not as good as just being able to audition a cymbal in person, but sometimes weight and bell size might help.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here