Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

64 Slingerland snare restoration questions

Ok I found a blue ripple pearl 64 Slingerland 8 lug student model snare at my local flea market. It is all there and thanks to info on this forum I have disassembled cleaned and polished each peice. I was putting back together and noticed a couple of spots were the re ring has the smallest gap between it and the shell, it is barely noticable, but you can pinch it together and it disapears.

My question, is it worth fooling with. I searched the forum and found many photos of repairs but mine is not anything near that bad. I cannot imagine how to get glue into this hairline without prying on the shell and maybe causing serious damage.

The only other problem is the badge is loose, not bent at all, just loose. It looks like it was not radiused before it was installed and mabe the gromet should be snugged a little more. I know they make tools to do this or is there some kind of glue I could use that would not damage the finish. I can invision this getting caught in the padding of a case or something and bending a perfect badge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 13 years ago

Congrats on the find.Post some photos with details of the badge and re ring separation.Also include photos of the strainer and butt,and use a digital camera if at all possible.If that drum has 8 lugs it may not be a student model,but prehaps a Hollywood ace or an Artist model.

Steve B

Posted on 13 years ago

Will post picks as soon as I figure out how to post them. I doubt the sepration will show as it is only a hairline but I will try.

Posted on 13 years ago

I've used a syringe to insert glue into those spots with success. Used C-clamps pressing on wood cut to the shape of inside and outside of the shell.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here