Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

60s Zildjian 15in HiHats - Mellow and Warm?

I just scored these Hihats on a deal and was quite surprised at how mellow and warm they are.

Are all 15 inch Hats (speaking generally about Vintage Zildjians) warmer and more mellow?

Leaning towards selling these - but not sure yet.

They are significantly warmer sounding than, say, my Hollow Logo 14in New Beats. In person they sound a bit less bright than they do on the video. One overhead and several drum mics. Overhead is an SM58. Eq on the overhead is (Two knobs, Low and High) Lo is at about 30-40 % and the high knob is set at around 90% (or 3-4, and 9 out of 10)

Thanks for your expertise, as I am not very experienced with 15 inch HHs like this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kORLiUqqV8U&list=UUMMbAkSFB726IGPftMKLppg"]YouTube[/ame]

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

Tried watching....it's says video is Pirvate...?

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 10 years ago

Sorry - just gather round my phone everybody! Trying to change to public but Will not allow me on my phone. Will fix when i get hone in about 3 hours.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 10 years ago

Ok - Video now public - sorry for the inconvenience....check it out!

Sorry about the volume level of the narration - drum mics (including one overhead SM58) are the only mics that are active.

John

Posted on 10 years ago

They sound very similar to our 15" Zildjian hi hats which are from the early to mid 70s and which have the following weights.

1314 grams/1172 grams

I'm curious how yours compare?

Scott

Posted on 10 years ago

If i recall correctly they are both about 1200 grams.

Posted on 10 years ago

Great Vids and ......... an opportunity for you to own these!

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=323796#post323796

Posted on 10 years ago

15" hats are a magic size, I've heard very few pair that didn't sound great, whether high or low, cutting or mellow.

Cymbals fall into some basic sonic areas related to size, shape, metal composition, manufacturing process and other treatments, and age... but there are few absolutes. 15" hats may be mellow and dark, or not. In theory, they'd be a little darker than 14" hats of the same series, but again, cymbal sounds vary widely. Viva the difference!

Those hats sound really sweet BTW, hang onto them!

Bermuda

Posted on 10 years ago

I have a pair of 60's Zildjian hats (1020g and 1220g). When I first got them it took me a while to get used to the lowered tone but after playing them for a while I have a hard time going back to 14's. 14's sound small and thin compared to the 15's. Nice to have both I suppose :)

Steve

1967 Slingerland 12,13,16,20 White Satin Flame
1968 Slingerland 12,14,16,20 Light Blue Pearl
Posted on 10 years ago

Sorry - Bermuda - could not afford to keep these - but the next owner should be very pleased - on its way now.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here