Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

602 Ride To repair or not to repair?

Hi all,

This 20" Formula 602 has an inch and a quarter crack from the edge in. It has been drilled 1/8" to stop the crack which looks to have worked, but the crack edges are still rubbing together. I the crack also appears to have been soldered (lead), but most of that has flown off. Could/should it be properly repaired by a smith? or v-notched, or??, or simply left alone? I have also just found slight keyholing and a 1/4" crack out from the bell hole. Lots of issues.

On age, I can only say that it's at least 20yrs old, and was used when I got it 20 yrs ago. Im having issues getting a decent picture of the stamp, but I could match it with samples. I'll check the files for sample stamp pics UPDATE: This stamp is an exact match to the good photo in Alken's 602 post 5 or 6 posts down from this one. The hole on this one is a little less than 1/2" dia and exactly 1/2" across the keyhole.

many thanks,

Dan

Posted on 14 years ago

Dan, what size,year, and how much is the cost for the repair going to be??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Dan, here is one on ebay this is the item number check it out, 160387411140 ,mark

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Just use a Dremel to grind the edges so they don't rub and it should be fine. There's nothing good you can do with solder or heat. I'd repair the other crack near the bell too. It's not hard, the ones I did 35 years years ago with no instruction or good tools haven't budged and man am I glad I didn't just let them grow.

Most of my best cymbals have some defects because they've been played a lot.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's some pics of the repairs that I did to some cymbals. Most were done around 1975 with my first Black & Decker one speed drill and absolutely no instruction.

Since then I've acquired some tools and maybe even skills, so I like to think that if I did these repairs today that they'd look better. That being said, the point is more that even with hack tools and skills I was able to save what end up being my favorite cymbals.

From left to right, the pics are:

* my AZ hi hats - terrible job with the rough edges, I need to clean that one up with my Dremel

* my old K hi hats - that's what it should look like (the only repair I'm proud of)

* the edges of my old K hi hats - ya they're wobbly but as long as everyone is still dancing...

* the cup of the old 50's K my friend (who died) bought me at the swap meet for a dollar - I saved that cymbal and it has "the sound".

* the notch of that old K - once again, not a very good job, it could be rounded more smoothly but I was getting leery about how much metal I was removing from that cymbal

Here's my take:

- don't keep playing a cracked cymbal without doing a repair

- good cymbals are capable of doing such a wide variety of sounds that you'll never notice it sounds different than before it cracked (that's what I've noticed anyways, I know others will disagree).

- there's a reason some cymbals are cracked - because they were the good ones and they got played a lot. For me I'm drawn towards cracked cymbals and pushed away from shiny perfect cymbals.

Posted on 14 years ago

One more, my favorite cymbal, the 17 1/2" that I call "the notch". You could use that cymbal and no others with a band all night (Led Zepellin or Count Basie) and never get bored.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here