Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

50s/60s pasha & ajaha cymbals vs...

Ive heard that pasha & ajaha were both made by ufip and were cream of the crop even put in the same league as zildjian As and Ks... can anyond verify this for me and/or tell me what you think of them please-

Posted on 10 years ago

I have never cared for too many OLD Italian made cymbals...

UFIP CLASS cymbals,and others of that ilk...whole 'nother story.....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

Huge Pinksterboer, The Cymbal Book, p165:

Pasha was a brand made for Rogers and Trophy Music, Cleveland. They were made by UFiP.

Rob Cook, The Gretsch Drum Book, p248:

Ajaha was a trademark owned by Gretsch some time before 1912. Gretsch distributed these through 1979. They are Italian made cymbals.

=====

But note that all Italian made cymbals are not UFiP. There were other companies. It is likely that UFiP were making them some of the time. Luigi Tronci lays claim to that in The Cymbal Book p175. But the time scale (since 1912) suggests that some Ajaha cymbals would predate the official formation of the UFiP association in 1931 (that date from Luca Luciano Italian Vintage drums and cymbals, p127). At various times the families which made up UFiP were in or out of the collective.

Gretsch must have felt that Ajaha cymbals were worthy of distribution with their Gretsch kits as they did so for many decades.

Opinions vary on whether a sentence like "in the same league as zildjian As and Ks" is obviously true or false or somewhere in between. I'd say that people who believe that Zildjian is "it" and have a "secret formula" and show great brand loyalty are more likely to scoff at Italian cymbals. But I'd suggest that before you try and evaluate any answers from people you find out what cymbals those people own and play.

For myself, I lack brand loyalty and celebrate diversity and I've got: a set of old As, a set of modern boutique handmade cymbals, a set of pre serial Paiste 602s, and a set of old 60s or 70s UFiPs (which hang with a pair of modern Class splashes as hats). For me the old As, pre serial 602s and UFiPs are in the same league. Different sounds, not better. Personal opinion. But I've never played a cymbal labelled Pasha or Ajaha. Mine all say UFiP on them.

This link also has some information: http://robscott.net/cymbals/italian-cymbals/

but notice that when you get down into the comments that much of it is lacking in provenance and not everything is reliable.

Posted on 10 years ago

One of my favorite ride cymbals is an 20" early 70's UFIP. At 1920g it's lighter than many and probably why I like it so much. I played it side by side against a 20" K Const. and the UFIP was what I went home with. I'm not brand loyal either (I recently discovered the joys of Paiste 602's) I have several old A's and would never buy one without hearing it in person. Not a ride cymbal anyway. I've heard more clunkers than winners with old A rides. I'm priced out of old K's. Just my own preferences as well.

Steve

1967 Slingerland 12,13,16,20 White Satin Flame
1968 Slingerland 12,14,16,20 Light Blue Pearl
Posted on 10 years ago

Ive seen old ajaha and pasha cymbals go for a pretty penny.

Posted on 10 years ago

I have a lovely old set of 13" Vibra hi hats that are my current favs. I think the best Vibras are at least in league with A's.

Posted on 10 years ago

I love the contemporary UFIP and I've heard some old Pasha and Ajaha pies (among others) that I thought sounded amazing. I even heard an 18" UFIP crash with the pyramid stamp recently that I would put up against ANYTHING. It leaves me to wonder if all of these old cymbals claimed to be UFIP, simply because they had made in Italy on them are nothing but imposters.

How often do we see some guy selling an old cymbal he claims is a vintage UFIP (without any kind of stamp) that sounds like garbage? People buy them because they hear the buzz about UFIP, then get turned off. According to a personal conversation with Alberto Biasei, the CEO of UFIP, there were at least 4 other foundries in Italy between the years 1940-1960. I don't even think he was including Zanchi, because Zanchi forged their cymbals at UFIP, then finished them in their own production house during that time.

So who might the others be?

Maybe the original XE Ajaha for a time?

Bellotti?

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here