Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

24" Avedis Zildjian date help

Hi,

I own a 24" Avedis Zildjian ride which I bought for 30 bucks Can. (hehe) in about 1992. My bass player found it in a pawn shop somewhere and had no use for it.

Anyway, I have reseached a little and would like confirmation on the date of this cymbal is someone is so inclined. The Stamp is 1 3/16" and it looks like it's hammered from the top. Would this make it an early 60's or did they reissue the 1 3/16" stamp in the late seventies or eighties.

BTW there is no sign of ink on this cymbal.

Thanks,

John

[Attachment: 1453]

[Attachment: 1454]

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Great deal on an early 60s Avedis cymbal. Is it thin? Does it wobble on the edges when played? If so, it is a nice jazz cymbal. Check out cymbalholic.com for more info. The cymbal couldn't be later than that. The stamps on later cymbals aren't as deeply impressed. The later 60s stamps were larger. You got a great deal.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the reply and the info on my ride. Good info to know about the deeply pressed stamp.

In answer to your questions, it is probably a medium or medium thin. When it's played it doesn't get out of control but has a nice wash with nice stick definition. When strike it with my finger or thumb I see that it wobbles nicely but not an exessive amount. It's got this cool sort of gong sound that spreads out probably because of the size. It's a good ride. Not sure why but the cymbal seems to weigh more on one side.

I've seen the Cymbaloholic site. The forum isn't taking any new members right now so I couldn't post there.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi, I am new to the site. I have a 24" ride as well. Avedis Zildjian.

Any idea what it is worth? It came with a 1961 Slingerland set that I am not using and would like to find a new home for. Any thoughts?

Quoted post

Hi,I own a 24" Avedis Zildjian ride which I bought for 30 bucks Can. (hehe) in about 1992. My bass player found it in a pawn shop somewhere and had no use for it.Anyway, I have reseached a little and would like confirmation on the date of this cymbal is someone is so inclined. The Stamp is 1 3/16" and it looks like it's hammered from the top. Would this make it an early 60's or did they reissue the 1 3/16" stamp in the late seventies or eighties.BTW there is no sign of ink on this cymbal.Thanks,John[Attachment: 1453][Attachment: 1454]

Posted on 17 years ago

Your guess is as good as mine. Look on ebay to find what they are going for. My guess is around 250(??)

Posted on 17 years ago

Stoli and Brian...

I'm an active member over a cymbalholic. I mostly lurk here as I love vintage drums but don't know much.

Anyway I'd say that Stoli's 24 is indeed a 1960's version. Brian your price would depend on when the ride was made and how heavy it is. If you can post a couple of pictures including one of the stamp I can help you out. The ride may or may not ahve been purchased new with that kit in 1961 so the stamp is a better determination of the ride's age.

Post a couple pics and I'll try to help.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here