Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

23" Zildjian avedis

I just got this cymbal which was thought to be 22" but actually measures 23". Is there such a thing as a 23" Zildjian A or could this have been cut down from a larger size? The edges have some minor roughness in places but seem original. The stamp is near the edge too and the cymbal weighs aproximately 3100gms. Also, is this a 50's stamp? Thanks

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 12 years ago

That's late 1950's, and yes they did make 23" cymbals.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much for that! I assume they must be a rare bird as I've googled and found nothing in the way of 23" versions.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 12 years ago

I've got a mid-'50s block stamp 23" that I always wondered about, good to know it was a legit cymbal all along!

Bermuda

Posted on 12 years ago

I've never seen any that weren't from sometime in the 50's. After that I think they discontinured them.

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice ride!

I have 21" avedis from 60's (2470g). Also didn't noticed in catalogue such size.

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 12 years ago

Good photos! I'm always glad when someone can make a photo of his instrument that is not only informative, but also, let's say, "artistic." I like the side lightning. Makes the profile of the cymbal and grooves really stand out.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 12 years ago

From snurf

Nice ride!I have 21" avedis from 60's (2470g). Also didn't noticed in catalogue such size.

21" cymbals are about as common as 24" rides from that era (I stumble upon them with roughly the same frequency). 23" cymbals are rare birds...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 12 years ago

thanks again Drumaholic, that's really good to know.

Gilnar - thanks. To be honest, any artistic quality was accidental. Put it down to the pleasant Hawkes Bay winter sun doing its thing.

I'll give this giant (I've only ever used 20" rides before so this seems huge to me) a hit out tomorrow and see how she sounds with a kit. I don't have a cymbal case big enough for it though.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here