Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

20" Bell size

So i'm interested at buying a cymbal from a local shop and i'm looking at the bell. It looks a little larger than the other 20 that is in the same shop. I go home and start doing some measuring and here is what i come up with on cymbals that i already own. Dimentions are just appoximate, not sure where bell actually start. Also i didn't measure all of the 20's i have since some of them aren't at my house.

All 20" zildjian A except where noted:

Early 60's sizzle 2070g 4 3/4"-5"

50's 1565g same

Trans-stamp 2155g same

Late 60's 1745g 5 1/2"

80's K crash ride 2210g same

Now i've noticed the bell sizes before but i'm just wondering if the larger ones are crash/rides or is that just a coinsidence that the K c/r has the same size as that thin(1745) 60's.

BTW i'm interested in selling that 1745g and i want to represent it properly. I'm also interested in buying that one at the local shop so if there is a value concern as to whether or not the larger bells are worth less/more let me know

All info is welcomed, Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

While I'm well aware of bell size differences, in over 50 years of playing, I've never yet seen a cymbal valued in relation to bell size. I would be surprised if that is a characteristic that anyone actually tracks, but perhaps others have seen it.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for that answer. I guess the value of a cymbal is in the sound it makes and not the appearance.

I guess the other part of my post is, do crash/rides usually have a larger bell on a 20" cymbal than a regular ride? The later model K that i have is marked c/r and has a bell about the size of a 22" A.

Gary.

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

I can’t speak for the 60’s era cymbal. But the 80’s Crash/Ride is the same cymbal as a Medium Thin Crash, which has bigger bell than a standard 20” Ride.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here