Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

1959 Ludwig Mahogany snare refinish

You did a great job of giving this drum 'new life' - excellent!

Your drum looks fantastic the way it is......

But....

Have you considered or worked with Tung Oil? It does a very nice job of preserving wood and leaves a great finish

I did the same thing with a 1949 Gretsch Mahogany drum. I did not do anything with the hardware - and in my case the gromet removal went smoothly = no damage. My shell was - as yours was - 'dinged' up.

Here's the result.....all I did was carefully clean the hardware and hoops - I did nothing to the hoops = they have the original finish.

Tung Oil Finish

Posted on 12 years ago

Oh, I would totally be interested in doing a tung oil finish. That was my first instinct actually when I was stripping the finish. I have a nice bureau that was finished with many coats of tung oil and it looks great, even 35 years later.

Yours looks great, by the way. This is becoming a fun hobby :)

Kits:
1966 Ludwig Hollywood Gold Sparkle Pearl 12/13/16/22
Star 3pc in Red Glass Glitter (1960's)
Snares:
1959 Ludwig Pioneer Mahogany
60's Ludwig Pioneer Gold Sparkle
60's Ludwig Acrolite (Keystone)
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

Who is to believed here:

From tdennis

You grossly devalued the drum in a number of ways: stripping the original finish, carelessly removing the badge, changing lugs, & leaving the shell unsealed, unprotected, & vulnerable to drying out.

Or:

From Slingalud

Outstanding! You brought it back to life in a Stellar way! It looks great and adding a new grommet is easy. Are you planning on leaving it just the way it is now or will you stain and lacquer it? The wood grain is really nice, maybe just clear lacquer? Whichever, you have definitely increased the value tremendously, it looks fantastic now and one for the display case!

This is not the first time I have read both types of valuations, and they both provoke me somewhat - and maybe I should just let it pass. But - this is the internet, and this is a discussion forum, right?

So how about discussing this:

The value of a drum is not an objective matter.

To tdennis, this drum is totally ruined, and he wouldn´t want even if given for free. It is not as it left the factory, so the value is nil. Harshly put.

And, to Slingalud, this snare has just been brought back from a certain death, and the job done to it is all it is worth....put harshly.

What about accepting that your values are not universal, and begin stating that "to me, this drum has now changed to a lot more/less attractive drum".

I have seen renovated/customized drums sell for both more or less than original, used drums. I do not think there is a universal truth in any of those value-assessments.

And why is it that important to even try and put a value on a drum?

Here we have a man, that was given an old drum, found he liked it, did something to it that he liked, he has taken some photos and shown it to us.

As he intents to keep it and hasn´t asked for a value -

why try to put $$$$ on it?

Rant over - for this time at least.

Regards

Jon

PS. I almost forgot: I like the snare now - and I liked it before. You haven´t asked for my regards on the drum, so I will just say I can follow your satisfaction with a job seemingly well done - as per your intentions.

Happy drumming!

Posted on 12 years ago

I say well done tubmyk2. The drum looks fantastic Clapping Happy2

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 12 years ago

From rillow64

I say well done tubmyk2. The drum looks fantastic Clapping Happy2Cam

I agree. I believe you have breathed new life into that drum and it is now a great asset in your snare arsenal. As for resale value, that completely depends on the buyer. If you ever decide to sell it, just tell potential buyers it's history and let them decide.

At some point, who cares? If you like it (and you should because you did a great job on it) then it is a good thing. If you bought a piece of antique furniture for your house and it was somewhat bunged up you would strip it and refinish it.

It's not the same as re-wrapping a perfectly good Rogers tom so you can remove the mounting hardware.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here