Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

1920's Ludwig Bass Muffler

A few days ago, I purchased a 1920's Leedy/Ludwig bass drum muffler. I am very pleased with my purchase. The muffler has a rich bronze colour patina, almost like a vintage cymbal. There is no felt left at all. Well, after eighty or more years, that's understandable. What was left however was a lot of very thick "glue" deposits around the inner surface of the bell. I finally got rid of the gunk. What I'm wondering though is, was the felt held in place by a very strong type of glue? What might it have been? Once I find some nice thick felt, about five inches in diameter, what would be the best way to attach it? I don't want to ruin the patina but I would like to restore this beauty as closely as possible to the original. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

I would use a good quality spray on contact cement/glue. Mask off any metal areas that you don't want to get glue on. I'd glue on a piece of felt larger than the finished circle of the muffler then after the glue has dried I use a sharp razor blade or exacto knife to trim it close to the edge of the metal circle. It won't take much to hold the felt on...it will always have pressure on it, not force trying to pull it off.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, GG!

I will follow your steps exactly. I was going to use a bit of contact cement but, I like your idea of trimming. Sounds good. I'll just have to hunt for a fairly thick piece of felt. I've thought of shoe insoles but, five inches in diameter would make for a pretty large shoe! Thanks again GG.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Paging Mike Curotto! You're expertise is needed in aisle six...

Mike, what color felts were used on the 20's Ludwig external bass drum mufflers?

Thanx...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago
Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi, John!

Thank you very much for the information. Perfect! I think that I may have found felt which is quite a good match. Today, a 60's Ludwig muffler arrived with very similar, if not identical felt. Even the working parts hadn't changed too much in forty years. Actually, as far as aesthetics, I prefer the 20's version. Oh well. Time marches on. I am a dinosaur. Thanks again, sir. I really appreciate all of your efforts on my behalf!!!

Brian

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here