Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

18" Zildjian Constantinople?

Hello,

I am a first time "poster". I recently cam across this cymbal. I was wondering if it is a pre-40's K Zildjian Constantinople? I will have weight of cymbal tomorrow. Is this a "orchestral" cymbal? Does anyone have a guess at the value of the cymbal? Any info will help. Thanks.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 15 years ago

Ok. The weight of the cymbal mentioned above is 1932 grams. According to a cymbal weight calculator I found online http://users.rcn.com/cwalter1/cymbalweight/ it is a Medium Heavy cymbal. Any info on this cymbal would be greatly appreciated, as there is not alot on the web.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 15 years ago

not much value with all those cracks starting....

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks. I was really looking for info about when the cymbal might have been made and for what purpose (drumset or orchestral). I rolled on the cymbal with mallets and it produced an awesome roar. Thanks again.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 15 years ago

From what I'm told Randy, those old Constantinoples are an orchestra player's wet dream!

Too bad about the cracks though. I would find a symphony person and see if they are interested. Someone might give you a deal despite the damage.

Where did you find this one anyway?

Posted on 15 years ago

This cymbal was a unkown suprise. I recently purchased a 1964 Black Diamond Pearl Club Date 22/13/16. The kit came with cymbals. I did not even think about the cymbals due to the fact that I got such a deal on the drums (estate sale). Upon picking up, I found this cymbal as well as a 20", 18" and 14" hats. The other cymbals are 60's Zildjians and in good shape.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 15 years ago

This one was definitely machted up at one time as one of a pair. It could have been for either orchestral or marching band use. They didn't make them in any specific "types" back then. Definitely pre 1940 vintage and probably made sometime during the 1930's.

The value of this one is pretty hard to quantify because those bell cracks are pretty serious. I guess you can just consider it to be worth whatever anyone wants to offer you for it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Drumaholic. I may poke around and see if any orchestral players are interested. Again, thanks for all the info guys. Cheers to you all.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 15 years ago

A '30s Constantinople K. 18" at 1932 grams could make for a pretty decent little jazz ride. The cracks are, indeed, a serious problem.

You'll likely find no orchestral or marching players interested in it, except maybe for sentimental value.

The torque at the holes is tremendous when used as a hand pair, and those cracks wouldn't hold out long at all.

I'd drill a small hole at the end of each crack (1/8" bit at slow speed with cutting oil) - and use a decent magnifying glass to make sure you are at the end of the crack.

Then I'd put a grommet in the hole -- it'll help take some of the stress off the cracks. Then you could post it for auction as an 18" 1930s K. Zildjian Constantinople 1932g. ride. you'd likely pull in a hundred clams or so...

:2Cents:

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks. Yes I was recently inquiring about installing a brass grommet in the hole. Actually I think it will resolve all but one crack. The biggest crack is 5/8 of a inch long. The keyhole as/is will not fit on a newer cymbal stand, so installing the grommet will fix 2 problems.

Does anyone have opinions on installing brass grommets?

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here