Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

18" flat ride - Golden Bell?

Can anyone tell me anything about this vintage flat ride?

It is faintly marked (Golden Bell) and also (flat ride 18" cm 45)

Is it a Ufip?

I am looking to purchase as many of these as possible.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to all serious replies.

Thanks,
Twig Drum
Posted on 11 years ago

Photos might help us here. Golden Bell is somewhat ironic as a name on a flat ride. Golden Bell also sounds like the kind of name Chinese manufacturers might choose...

Posted on 11 years ago

Here's a few pictures of the cymbal and it's markings. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Twig Drum
Posted on 11 years ago

Looks Italian to me. That's on the basis of the lathing and the hammering. The red ink giving the size is also consistent with Italian. I can't read what it says there above the size. Can you?

Also, what is the exact size? The Italians manufacture metric cymbals so it would be 45 cm exactly (the 18" is notional not real). This isn't the same as the undersized cymbals which tend to come out of Turkey, as far as I can tell. The Italians are accurate, but working to a "nice" size in the metric system. The Turkish manufacturers just seem to be a bit undersized when they do there edging along the way.

There is this page of nearly all the brands which UFiP sold under (CB700 and possibly others which aren't there). Thanks to Ronn Dunnett who took it while on a tour of UFiP. I don't spot it but you have to look carefully and I might have missed something

[img]http://black.net.nz/cym2012/ufipStencilBrands.jpg[/img]

Posted on 11 years ago

Thank you Zenstat..

I don't see the logo either but it is a similar to the SUPER zanchi logo.

This is helpful. My next call is to Ufip.

Again, if anyone comes across a "Golden Bell" please let me know as I am pursuing all purchases.

kind regards,

Twig Drum

413-221-6173

Thanks,
Twig Drum
Posted on 11 years ago

This is a very curious cymbal. Please keep us updated on what you find.

I am particularly interested in the vintage of this cymbal if and when you find out that info.

It is widely accepted that Paiste invented the flat ride in or around 1964 as part of the Formula 602 series in conjunction with Joe Morello. Orginally known as the Space Sound.

We know that Zildjian copied the flattie at some point down the line, presumably early 70's but it would be really interesting to see where this one fits on the time continuum.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thought it was more like 66 or 67?

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

I've heard as early as '64 when Morello met with Toomas Paiste.

Here is a '68 catalog scan which shows it in the Seven Sound Set.

[IMG]http://s11.postimage.org/4q5gob767/DSCF0382.jpg[/IMG]

I have something somewhere from the first ones ....the Space Sound. I have to look for it, will post if I can find it.

Posted on 11 years ago

I've done some cross checking and the 7 sound set was introduced in 1964. I am still looking for the Space Sound advert.

Posted on 11 years ago

In terms of when Paiste patented the flat ride in the USA:

Paiste Flat Ride: United States Patent 3,546,994 Issue Date: December 15, 1970 filed Jan 22, 1969

That leaves a bit of a timing window between the SpaceSound and the patent being issued for a flat ride (if it was advertised in 1964). From my memory (I'm no patent attorney) you create a problem if you advertise and begin to sell something before you submit the patent.

During the period between Jan 22, 1969 and the issue date December 15, 1970 Paiste started printing "Pat. Pending" in ink on the bottom of the flat rides. I've got one and I've seen several others. Then over time more countries were listed on the underside as Patented. I've recorded some flat rides with: switzerland, canada, usa, and some with longer lists.

In my sales database I've recorded two spacesound sales, on 18" and one 20".

fo602 20 flat spacesound 2300 good preserial ebay 11-Nov-08 $300.00 BIN logos faded

fo602 18 flat spacesound good preserial ebay australia 11-Mar-13 $245.00 BIN logos faint > cymbalista

I didn't record that they had any ink underneath showing anything about patents. Since they are so rare I would have if I knew about it at the time.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here