Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

18' Avedis Crash- 50's?

Got this tonight for just under a C note from a nice guy who quoted me for a

70's "18 but when we got to looking at it it appeared to be 50's (he still honored the original quote). It's heavy but crashable, probably be called a ride/crash today.

Haven't had a chance to really play it, but it might be too heavy for what I want. But it is gorgeous and sounds great.

Any info appreciated...

Posted on 15 years ago

Looks like a '60s to me. Drumaholic would know at a glance exactly what date that stamp is.

What the weight ?

Likely it's an old ride. Yeah, nice sound I'm sure, but not for just a crash.

What's that hollow-body archtop electric I see in a couple of the pix? I like archtop acoustics.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks, I was pretty sure that the no dots put it in the 50's or 70's though, but I am far from knowledgable on cymbals. The flange and lathing made me think it was older than 70's. Don't know the weight and no scale here.

That's my '76 Gibson ES-335 peeking out.

Posted on 15 years ago

You're right, Johnny. Later 1950's to be more exact.

Most likey a marching band cymbal too, judging from the wear marks along the ridges between the hammer marks. And it looks like there's an "R" under the bell. Is that right?

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks a lot for the info & confirmation on the era Drumaholic.

Looks like a "R" to me, here is a better shot. Any significance?

I am trying to get access to a decent scale to weigh it, any idea of it's worth?

I would love to hold onto it, but it is just too heavy for where I want it in my set up and I am on a limited budget (Thanks Mrs. SUJ :D) and am considering selling it.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Well, I have been playing with a band and once I got this out of the basement and into a loud rehersal it is perfect. Still no weight on it (not sure why my wife has no scale) but it sounds incredible.

A lot easier to crash at full scale playing as opposed to what I was doing in the basement and the bell sounds great as a compliment to my 70's A 20 ride. Love it.

My only concern is that given my er..uh..."technique", I might not be the best steward for this piece.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here