Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

14" Zildjian Cymbal question w' 50's small stamp

I'm Ignorant in this area. How do you tell a 14" Crash Cymbal from a Hi Hat top or bottom?

I have 14" zildjian with a 50's small stamp it appears..... that came with a kit I bought that was being used as a crash cymbal but How do i know what it is exactly ??? It has a fast decay and unique kind of sound....

How do you know what it began life as?? crash,Hi Hat, Marching ?????

[IMG]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24177188_1773595426008723_4376625991945768640_n.jpg?oh=caf4928311159212139811ceec7a8081&oe=5ACCDB56[/IMG]

Posted on 6 years ago

You can use it for whatever function you like. The cymbal police won't catch you. ;)

The only way I know to tell the model after the model ink has gone is by weight. In some larger diameters (and in some production eras) there were different bell dies used. But as far as I know the 14" diameter just used the one 4" die.

There is a suggestion I haven't followed up yet that if cymbals were manufactured for use with straps and handles (band) they might have a slightly larger mounting hole. The standard size is 1/2" these days, and was 7/16" until the later 1950s. The trademark stamp on yours looks like the B version of the late 50s Small Stamp so it's most likely to have the modern hole size.

If yours weighs more than 1000g then it is more likely to be a band cymbal than a hat or a crash. If it weighs less than that it could be a hat or a crash. This is just a quick rule of thumb based on my data collection. I've got weights recorded for 30 pairs of Small Stamp hats, and just one of those is a band pair (with straps so we know). That's in the larger context of 150 pairs when I include other production eras. Of course, by the time you get into the 70s and 80s over 1000g is most likely a top hi-hat and we can know that from those examples with model ink left. I've also got one 14" Fast Crash (ink intact) from 2006 (laser serial JA) which weights 737g.

Hope this helps give some context.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thank You sir.

I will measure the hole and weigh it..... I'll let you know, and ill look hard at it for any ink left.

thanks

Earl

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here