Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

14" avedis hats

Hi all. New to the forum (and drums) and I'm looking to replace the garbage hats that came with the set a friend gave me. I have been looking for new beats as a safe all around sound (from what I've read).

Anyway, I was offered (for sale) a clean set of Zildjian Avedis 14" hats (weights - 744 gram top, 968 gram bottom). They are probably from the 60s.

I know this is vague information, but any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated regarding what I can expect from these a rock/blues/funk context.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've got a pair of 1960s A's in similar weight -- 650g over 905g. I like how quick and full their sound opens up when played open and the live sizzle they give when closed lightly. As you might expect from thin cymbals, they can be pretty lively, even at lower volumes. But they also have a few traits that could be considered drawbacks... For one thing, they might have the quietest chick of any hi-hats I've ever heard. The thin cymbals also give a different feel. There's less firmness and not a whole lot of rebound, so if you ever roll or play fast doubles on your hi-hat, you'll have to use some willpower (and good finger technique) to eke those notes out cleanly.

I look at them as a niche pair and I think you'd want something a bit heavier for the rock/blues/funk context I think you're shooting for. My usual hi-hats are a pair of 14" medium Sabian AA's (1072g over 1509g), which I find to be similar to New Beats. Something like that would probably be a better fit and give you more versatility.

Posted on 14 years ago

Every AZ is different. Drastically different. All that matters is the sound/feel, I would put no stock in the weights or anything else. They vary drastically and most of them suck, but some don't. That's the story of AZ.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks...I really appreciate your replies.

My gut has been telling me I should skip these and continue the hunt for New Beats. It sounds like you're confirming that suspicion.

Posted on 14 years ago

First off, play them. If you like them, and the price is right, pick them up. Playing them in a non-band environment is not going to be the same as playing them "live", at full tilt. Maybe, if this is a friend, you could borrow them for your next practice session. New Beats sell very well, and there is a reason for it.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

First off, play them. If you like them, and the price is right, pick them up. Playing them in a non-band environment is not going to be the same as playing them "live", at full tilt. Maybe, if this is a friend, you could borrow them for your next practice session. New Beats sell very well, and there is a reason for it.

unfortunately, this is the crux of my problem. i can't play or even listen to them...i know, the cardinal sin of buying cymbals without hearing them first. this is why i'm trying to figure out what's the safest bet in my situation. i don't live in an urban area where i can try out a lot of used cymbals and not yet willing (since i'm new to the drums) to drop the coin necessary to buy decent cymbals new at local shops.

Posted on 14 years ago

I also have a pair of vinatge A's from the 60's they don't work for my style of music, I play Sound Edge black label with my band and they project like nothing else I've ever played, I also hold some nice A's in my collection but unless I do jazz, they also don't get much playing time, I use 2002's almost exclusively now.

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here