Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

13" Zildjian A Hi Hats Made in Canada

Ive seen a couple posts on here about them but im wondering if there is a way to tell if theyre from the 70's (specific year) or 80's(specific year). I dont think 13 inch hats are that popular but maybe they made them the whole time before being switched to all Sabian production from New Brunswick. These have the black hollowed out ink stamp on the bottom only. Was that stamp actually used in the 70's? Ive read people saying that it started in the 80s but have also read people saying some were from the 70s. Thanks for the help!

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have a Made in Canada ride which does not have an ink stamp, and no signs or remains of one. I do not believe ALL 13" Zildjian 'hats were made in Canada...pretty sure of that.

Dunno why, really, some A's pop up with the Canada stamp. I have seen rides, flat rides, crashes...and now your 'hats.

There's still varying opinion on the hollow-ink logo. Some say early 70's to early '80's...others say it stared around '75 and went all the way to about '85.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have a Made in Canada ride which does not have an ink stamp, and no signs or remains of one. I do not believe ALL 13" Zildjian 'hats were made in Canada...pretty sure of that.Dunno why, really, some A's pop up with the Canada stamp. I have seen rides, flat rides, crashes...and now your 'hats.There's still varying opinion on the hollow-ink logo. Some say early 70's to early '80's...others say it stared around '75 and went all the way to about '85.....[/COLOR]

Ya i wasnt trying to imply that i thought all 13 inch Zildjian hats were made in canada and i know that the New Brunswick ones and the Mass. ones are pretty much identical besides the stamp but ya i was more curious to find out which era.

The fact that yours do not have stamp makes me think mine are more in the 80s range and yours a bit older but who knows the inconsistencies of stamping.

I have read some historical stuff saying that zildjian made cymbals in NB before it was all Sabian production but id like to know more about the history. Thanks for the info though!

Posted on 14 years ago

I toured the Meductic factory in the mid 70's when they had the homemade "AZCO" sign.

I have an 18" cymbal that has the exact stamp as the one you posted. I bought that cymbal new in Canada around 1976. I never saw any black stamps in the 1970's.

The reasons, as far as I can figure, that AZ started the whole Meductic thing are because they wanted to bypass the stringent customs tariffs Canada had in place at the time, Robert Zildjian couldn't stand working with his brother, and the fishing along the St. John River is excellent.

From what I can tell the cymbals they made when I was there, 1976 or so, were exactly the same as the Massachusetts made ones.

13" hihat cymbals were never as common as 14" or 15"'s, but my understanding is that both the Canadian and USA factories made them on a routine basis.

With one cymbal stamped black and the other not either they are from a crossover period or they were not originally sold together. One could be 10 years older than the other. Who knows, the bottom line is if people can dance to them! :)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here