Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

13 inch floor tom

Anyone ever put legs on a 13x9 tom? I wonder if it will be high enough with the normal 20 legs.

Posted on 14 years ago

From reniegreg

I wonder if it will be high enough with the normal 20 legs.

Never saw any floor tom with the normal 20 legs, now that's support.....Laughing H

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]l've done it - if they are 20" legs you should be Ok - but depends on the leg brackets you choose - you need to keep them low on the shell but not so low as to interfere with the hoop/head ring. For FT's l usually use 13" power toms such as 10" or 11" deep - they look better too. Another alternative would be to mount the drum in the low position off of the bass drum.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Why modify the drum? Just use a snare stand.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm trying eliminate a stand, and the tom I got for next to nothing already covered to match. I guess I need to find some small brackets.

Backbeater - I think your right, 20 legs may be overkill. I was originally thinking of 6, but I may hang a stick bag off it, so 12 should be enough. As long as I triangulate the midpoint of each leg cluster it should work.

Seriously though, after seeing the size of some rims mounts and other hardware, I'm surprised we don't see some type of massive floor tom support system.

Posted on 14 years ago

From reniegreg

I'm trying eliminate a stand, and the tom I got for next to nothing already covered to match. I guess I need to find some small brackets.Backbeater - I think your right, 20 legs may be overkill. I was originally thinking of 6, but I may hang a stick bag off it, so 12 should be enough. As long as I triangulate the midpoint of each leg cluster it should work. Seriously though, after seeing the size of some rims mounts and other hardware, I'm surprised we don't see some type of massive floor tom support system.

You can cure your leg length problem and improve the sound by using a "Rims" suspension for floor tom. That supports the bottom hoop and uses three tom legs and brackets of your choosing.

Posted on 14 years ago

I just put together a 12x13 FT from an old Ludwig Rocker power tom. The legs work fine even though I put the mounts about 3" up the side. With a 13x9 maybe put them a little lower.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Here's another alternative that I have done at times: an old-school bass-hoop mounted tom holder. You can set the 13" in a low right-hand, FT-like position. Gives it that "floating tom" effect from a lotta angles, too (!)[/COLOR]

2 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow Jaye, pretty interesting. What size is that bass? I'm going to use my 13" with a 16x16 bass.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Bingo...that kit was a 12x16 bass, 9x13 low tom, 6x10 rack, if I recall.....

...the thing is, you have to mount the tom mount LOW on the shell of the 13 (i.e. towards the res side) in order to get the height needed for the low tom.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here