Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   General Drum Questions (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Australian Collectors Group (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=7687)

emmajay 12-11-2010 08:10 PM

Re: Australian Collectors Group

still trying to get a pic uploaded !

Antipodes 12-12-2010 04:41 PM

How many are in Sydney? I think I've tried this before in a half-arsed way either here or on DFO but could be fun to get some of us together in one place for a drink.

bonzo119 12-15-2010 04:59 AM

Sydney here...I'm up for a little drink some time.
Good to chat the other day Antipodes...

Doode 12-16-2010 05:43 AM

mr Dude here from Melbourne

whos shout??............

lollCool Dude

JaffaJay 01-08-2011 09:54 AM

Hi guys,

Great idea! I live in perth and have thought about the same idea. I am
newish to collecting vintage drums but would love to be part of a WA branch.
Good to know I am not the only person scouring the quokka and gumtree daily for drums....

RockLite 01-13-2011 11:46 PM

Hey Folks,
I'm here in Sydney; just joined. Got a kit of early 70s Premiers coming down from Briz (hopefully not waterlogged) which will need some tender lovin' to get back up to scratch. Will be lookin' for advice in the near future.

Josh 01-31-2011 06:08 PM

Hey folks, can I spread the word here of my WFL e-bay listing?
There are currently dozens of people watching the auction so who wants to be first to bid? She's a beaut! Happy to answer any questions.
I know this is not the for sale section but this one is for the aussies here.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MESELX:IT

SOLD!

Aussievintagedrumuser 02-21-2011 04:24 AM

G'day from Cowes Victoria Australia!.Please add me to this group! :).
I'm both a Ludwig&Paiste collector/fan/freak etc&massive John Bonham fan! :).

alot2008 04-01-2011 05:44 AM

gretsch player, mij collector, planning on being at the drummers w/end in melbourne ,i think in august? be good to if there was some sort of of vintage presence, there are some vintage drum dealers in melbourne, drum palce for one.

alot2008 04-01-2011 05:46 AM

thats drum palace, i should preview my posts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alot2008 (Post 118244)
gretsch player, mij collector, planning on being at the drummers w/end in melbourne ,i think in august? be good to if there was some sort of of vintage presence, there are some vintage drum dealers in melbourne, drum palce for one.

hisdudnes 04-01-2011 06:19 AM

hey guys!
i'm pretty new to the forum as well, but i'm a drummer from melbourne, and i'm just starting my vintage collection.

Funny you mention the drummers weekend in melbourne! I entered in it and came second in the open age categorie two years in a row (my friends now call me no.2 :P :P) in 2006 and 2007 i think?

not sure, great fun though.

but yeah! lets hear it for the australian vintage drumming community flower

bluecoast1740 04-06-2011 05:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I posted on another section about my Drouyn and Drouyn, (Dandy) kit I'm picking up on Friday 8th April. Here's some shots of it the owner has sent me. Ilive in Brisbane and will probs gig with them when I get them all set up. I currently play a Gretsch Classic "Ocean Sparkle Burst". Talk soon I hope,
Regards
JC

Aussievintagedrumuser 04-18-2011 04:15 AM

Anbody on here in this forum/group got any 'Bonham" sized cymbals&drums?
i.e. original "white&black" label pre-serial&serial Paiste giant beats-15" hats 18 20 &24 FO602 black label 15" SE hi-hats black label Paiste 2002's-15" SE hi-hats 16&18" mediums 18&24" rides.Ludwig supra both keystone pre-serial&serial &B/O badge LM402(14X6.5) Ludwig 2A drumsticks &
Ludwig Golden Tone 129-5 5" cowbell &Ludwig Atlas&Hercules straight cymbal(1402) stands&Ludwig Atlas&Hercules snare stands(1364-4&1376).Also lastly ANY ludwig 60's&70's to 80 catalogs&posters specifically of John Bonham &ANY paiste 60's-80 Giant beat FO602&2002 catalogs&Paiste profiles 1&2&Paiste posters of John Bonham
Ta mates! :)
Ado.

jaghog 04-18-2011 07:12 AM

welcome there mate, glad to have you here from down under

Antipodes 04-19-2011 02:02 AM

I've got a keystone 402 from 1969 or so which I was thinking of parting with which is in pretty astounding condition. My slight reticence to part with this was swept away today when I saw one go for USD 1250 on ebay!!!!

Also thinking about parting with a 1983 vintage DW ten lug maple snare and possibly a Camco Oaklawn tuxedo-lugged COB snare.

What can I say, I just bought something really expensive.

I'm in Sydney, if anyone's interested.

.andrea. 05-17-2011 04:55 AM

Hi Dave! I'm Italian but I have a cousin who live in Perth! and this forum is amazing!!

Antipodes 06-14-2011 10:16 PM

Slightly bending the rules but this is the easiest way to get to the Aussies. I've posted the aforementioned vintage DW snare (stamped Oct 7, 1982) on the 'bay if that market has actually started.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_500wt_1156

Wakk 06-22-2011 07:19 AM

Hey Guys!
I'm a new member and from Gippsland in Victoria. Good to see there's a few of us in Aus!
Stoked to have found this site! :)

Aussievintagedrumuser 06-24-2011 04:13 AM

G'day Wakk! :).I'm from Cowes Victoria where exactly in Gippsland are ya from? welcome to the site! :).What vintage cymbals/drums do you play&collect&drummers you like are you gigging either professionally or semi-pro/hobby?.I'm attempting to put together a Led Zeppelin covers band as well as playing 60s/70s funk/pop/soul! :).What's the live music scene in Gippsland like is there any rehearsal studios in Gippsland ?.I know where's jam nights in Archies Creek Kilcunda pub Poowong pub&also in Newborough(near Moe) ! :).PM us &we can if ya like have a chin wag/yacknyarn or go to a jam night or see a band or just hang out whatever! :)
ta lad/mate
Ado.

Josh 06-25-2011 05:09 AM

wow.
yep I'm in Gippsland too, Garfield I guess is kinda part of West Gippsland. No live music scene around here at all, but lots of nice vintage drums at my joint. Luckily Melbourne has one of the best live music scene's in the world, and that's no exageration.
For Gippsland Westerport Hotel in San Remo gets some good acts, Fish Creek use to, Meeniyan has a great venue that regulary attacts international acts.
enjoy!

Wakk 06-26-2011 02:38 AM

Hey lads,
Im in Newborough, lived in Melbourne for 5 years after I finished high school but I missed living in the country so I moved back. I'm a full time drummer, so i spend a lot of time in Melbourne on different jobs or I'm going through to the airport to play interstate etc. Im in my car a lot haha.
In the way of vintage collection I have 60's Premier kit, a 69 Ludwig on the way from the states at the moment, Kingston kit (which I don't know a whole lot about) as well as a couple of Acrolites, Dynasonics, Supraphonics, Trixon snares etc, and a lot of other bits and pieces. Oh i have an Olympic kit here too. I also have a lot of "New" gear, a lot of it Yamaha as I have an endorsement with them (I do love the drums though, not just signed up for the sake of having the deal), my sound is too important to me! I won't run through everything but there's a lot of stuff here. Love my drums! What about you guys?
In the way of a scene in Gippsland there is some cool stuff happening. Josh mentioned some good ones, I've played the Westernport a few times on tours around the summer, good fun. Inferno at Traralgon also get's a lot of acts coming through which is always cool, and there's some great festivals around Gippsland like the Boolarra Folk Fest and things like that. I don't know of any actual rehearsal studios in Gippsland, just in Melbourne where most of my rehearsals happen. I know some people hire public halls to rehearse at which can be cool and inexpensive. (as long as you have your own PA i guess).
On ya lads!

HiHat15 07-25-2011 07:29 AM

Hi, looking for any Hayman bits and pieces, if anyone has anything to offload.
Regards, Hihat15

troutstudio 10-03-2011 01:32 AM

Howdy folks. My name is Paul and I'm in Sydney.
Boys seem to like Blue Sparkle so here's mine. Just a phone shot at the moment, but complete with dyna. Love your kits we should have a vintage day with BBQ of course. All the best, PK

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...o/f0a66eba.jpg

sc100 01-06-2012 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have got a neighbour in Sydney with a Carlton Dallas kit he bought 2nd hand in London in the 60s (1964???). Any ideas how to work out what year it is? and anyone interested in it - he wants to sell it. He did have some work done on it once and the guy was impressed with the snare. I'm not a drummer so no idea about it. There is a 14inch snare, 12inch Tom and 20inch bass. The cymbals are Zyn.
Steve

wardy 01-18-2012 09:59 PM

G'day folks, count me in (1,2,3...) for the aussie collectors group.

I'm in Sydney and I've got a few old bits and pieces around the place. I play a great Drouyn kit as mentioned in another post as well as some old Ludwig snares, and I still have my fathers 1957 Premier Royal Ace kit in beautifully yellowed white marine pearl which comes out every now and then for a play.

To restore I have a 40's Leedy snare and a 40's-50's Dandy marching snare. I was thinking of converting the Dandy to a jungle bass drum and adding the Leedy snare as a kit for my small kids....

Always looking on Ebay for a bargain and I love getting the old kits working again. Drums sound better once you've put some of your own elbow grease into the sound.

Cheers! wardy

JRichard 01-18-2012 10:32 PM

I didn't know we had an Aussie Group here, showsya what I knows!
Nice to meet you Lads! Grab a brew and sits a while.
Sydney huh? Any Dingo's about?

:D

ps: Billy Thorpe Lives!

troutstudio 01-27-2012 07:41 PM

Drouyn research

While I'm waiting for my Drouyn kit to arrive, I thought I would let anyone who's interested know that I have begun research into these drums. I am hoping to travel to Brisbane this year for more information. Could anyone here who has any connection with Drouyn/Dandy (including owners) who wants to help please email me: studio<at>troutsounds.com. My ultimate aim is to fill in the gaps on Drouyn/Dandy drums as best I can and then see if it can be published - obviously on-line first but if I can get assistance, perhaps a small book. This is a not for profit venture. I would like especially to get good quality pictures of any drums. I feel these are part of our Australian music history and a good yarn to boot. Thanks very much.

pk

Wado 01-29-2012 08:12 AM

Gday guys, great to see this group exists. Im from Adelaide and ive got 5 vintage kits. Im after any 60s pearl parts (badges or bass drum hoops mainly) or any wooding parts (tom arms and a 14 inch tom hoop). Ive got a pre serial 602 hi hat if anyone wants to trade or something.
Cheers guys

Aussievintagedrumuser 02-21-2012 07:21 PM

G'day! :).I'm from Cowes/Philip Island Victoria! :).Do ANY of you blokes that belong to this group have ANY of the following for sale or know ANYONE ANYWHERE that has:Ludwig Atlas snare stands
Ludwig Atlas straight cymbal stands
Ludwig Golden tone 5" cowbell
Ludwig 2a drumsticks
Rogers 'swivomatic" " swan leg" hi-hat stand
Ludwig LM402 either pre-b/o badge or up to 70s b/o badge
Paiste GB "original" either white or black label 24" crash/ride.
Ta lads/mates! :)
Ado.

mod_man86 02-28-2012 05:36 PM

G'day, I'm Steve from northern NSW.
I bought a great looking 1969 Yamaha kit last year. It's got the red tiger print wrap and the sizes are 20" bass, 13" tom, 16" floor tom and 14" matching snare.
I use it regularly and much prefer it to my newer Pearl Vision kit. It suits my band's style anyway.
Hoping to buy a complete set of flat base stands soon and maybe some vintage style cymbals. I also need a new bass pedal but I'm not sure what to get, something to fit the period would be nice.
My ultimate aim is to buy a similar vintage Ludwig kit in the same sizes, but with a 22" bass drum.

AlisterPike 04-26-2012 10:18 AM

Hey everyone, Alister from Adelaide here.

I've got a 1969 Yamaha C-220 which is currently up for sale here > http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=29444

AlisterPike

Antipodes 05-06-2012 06:37 AM

Check out the for sale section for a Camco 1960s COB snare in Sydney - currently for sale.

Boora 05-31-2012 05:54 AM

Hey guys, just found this thread and I am from shepparton in Victoria. My current set up is a gretsch renown in yellow oyster wrap from 2004. I am currently on the look out for a vintage Yamaha, pearl or anything I guess that I can get my hands on without the misses killing me! I just missed out on a Yamaha on eBay from over in Adelaide the other day....bloody spewing that I didn't buy that night I first seen it. Ah well, I am sure something like it will come up again.

Antipodes 06-24-2012 05:44 PM

Selling a couple of Camber T-tops (8mm) here in Oz. Came about as a mistake (I should've received 4 x 6mm) but can't be bothered with the fuss or cost of sending them back to the US. So I'm going to the fuss and cost of selling them here.

Here's the link.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...ght=Australian

troutstudio 07-03-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antipodes (Post 194995)
Selling a couple of Camber T-tops (8mm) here in Oz. Came about as a mistake (I should've received 4 x 6mm) but can't be bothered with the fuss or cost of sending them back to the US. So I'm going to the fuss and cost of selling them here.

Here's the link.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...ght=Australian

Just have to figure out what they fit. Might sound dumb but what does the 6/8 mm signify? I thought older stands were all 1/4" and the newer Pearl ones - aren't.

Antipodes 07-19-2012 02:48 AM

The 6mms fit the older stands (up until early 80s) and the 8mms the more modern ones.

While I'm here does anyone know anyone (ideally in Sydney) who'll redo a calf head? I gather there's someone who does a decent kangaroo hide drum head. I have the original 14" hoops.

troutstudio 08-23-2012 05:42 AM

Sad but predictable:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226456777674

longjohn 08-23-2012 02:57 PM

Yes.. Sad for sure... Hope none of you guys are sitting on Gift Certificates..

THE last beats of music may have been sounded for one of Australia's most iconic stores, with 150-year-old Allans Billy Hyde placed into receivership

Cheers

Aussievintagedrumuser 08-23-2012 06:58 PM

I wonder who,s now going to import&distribute Ludwig? ABH don,t seem to be that interested/keen in pushing the brand&marketing it the way it should be! :(.I laybuyed over 2.5 yrs ago a Ludwig Centennial "Zepp " kit 13' 16" 18"&26" kick &14x6.5 WOOD snare SHOULD,VE been/come with a 6.5 Luddy supra &14" tom.The manager of ABH(it was just Billy hydes then) in Blackburn(Melbourne outer eastern suburb) he gave more then the usual amount of time to pay it off&gave me $500 off the RRP! :).Ever since the merge the service IMHO/FWIW has gone down hill NO calls returned NO emails answered! :(.I bought because of there lack of service &ludicrous&ridicoulous price both a 26" Remo coated Emperor&24" Paiste GB off Ebay! .Id,ve prefered to buy&deal with them (or any local store) but when you,re NOT receieving both the service&prices of course you,re gonna go elsewhere.Also i enquired from ABHB(Blackburn) about paying the difference betwen the 13" Luddy Centennial tom (in natural maple lacquer) &a 14" tom in exact finish.I was told that they couldn,t &wouldn,t "break" a tom off a existing kit&that it(tom) would be a 'special order" take 6 months&cost be $530! .I can buy one off a Ebay USA seller for $256+ shipping! .Is it any wonder they went belly up? ! Sad for the knowledgeable staff! :(.

relayer 09-15-2012 12:45 AM

Hi guys,

A shot in the dark here, but might anyone have a lead on a Drouyn snare? The older and deeper the better. I imagine with their heyday being in the '50s and '60s, they didn't make anything any deeper than a 6.5", if that. I've checked eBay Australia, but nothing has turned up in quite some time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.

Stephen