Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   General Drum Questions (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vintage Drums Comparison (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=65620)

OddBall 01-15-2020 08:26 PM

Re: Vintage Drums Comparison

Take a look at the Foreigner video,...he's hitting his kit, smacking that hat, kicking that drum, not mic'd and you hear his kit, not a compressor.

Why can't drum comparison videos be like that instead of tap tap t tap on the ride and bum b dumb taps on the toms and that horrid Buzzy buzzy buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz on the snare ?

OddBall 01-15-2020 08:29 PM

You know, compare kits,...This one shakers a lot, that one walks away, this one rings but stays put, that one is user friendly, this one needs tools,.......Sh*t like that !

Everyone has different tune taste.

johnnyringo 01-15-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 456679)
Take a look at the Foreigner video,...he's hitting his kit, smacking that hat, kicking that drum, not mic'd and you hear his kit, not a compressor.

Why can't drum comparison videos be like that instead of tap tap t tap on the ride and bum b dumb taps on the toms and that horrid Buzzy buzzy buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz on the snare ?

Ya, it's also amazing how good those guitars sound with no amps and not even plugged in.
That's obviously a studio version and they are just going through the motions.
Ya want live, here's live....

O-Lugs 01-16-2020 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 456677)
I like mine the way they are, 45 with floating heads. Very little shell contact at all. Sharp and short notes. I wax them and don't get a lot of that cracking and skipping I hear my friend's drums do when we tune his. I find fine tuning more precise with less shell contact. Tight or lose, little shell contact is what I like.

I agree that it's different for a heavier hitter. I haven't even put a dimple on a head in decades. Whenever I find a vintage and well-used WeatherMaster head, I opt for them. As long as they aren't deformed, I can tension them high enough on my jazz kits to get the REAL, vintage sound....but I DO have to get them up there in the high range before they work. If I try a lower tuning, then everything goes to a$$ in a New York second!

But when I want that modern slightly pitch bendy sound, I just play the Arbiter kit....That's the only kit I own with the sharp bearing edges....Too bad all of my kits are still in storage from the basement remodel..I have yet to set anything up in the new space....just procrastinating because of the new big tv that's in there now....heh.

OddBall 01-16-2020 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-Lugs (Post 456688)
I agree that it's different for a heavier hitter. I haven't even put a dimple on a head in decades. Whenever I find a vintage and well-used WeatherMaster head, I opt for them. As long as they aren't deformed, I can tension them high enough on my jazz kits to get the REAL, vintage sound....but I DO have to get them up there in the high range before they work. If I try a lower tuning, then everything goes to a$$ in a New York second!

But when I want that modern slightly pitch bendy sound, I just play the Arbiter kit....That's the only kit I own with the sharp bearing edges....Too bad all of my kits are still in storage from the basement remodel..I have yet to set anything up in the new space....just procrastinating because of the new big tv that's in there now....heh.

I have one kit, all my life, Phonics, still,....no complaints. I don't mic them, there was a time a few years back My cousin did, but only the BD, it didn't sound bad through the compressor, just very loud.

OddBall 01-16-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyringo (Post 456686)
Ya, it's also amazing how good those guitars sound with no amps and not even plugged in.
That's obviously a studio version and they are just going through the motions.
Ya want live, here's live....
https://youtu.be/1awj2kEE7K0

The very first guitar didn't get plugged in. Now solid body,...different animal. I don't play stadiums or theaters,.....

Dude was play'n that kit good......hit'n like a drummer. Could hear him fine, probably better if I was in there.

johnnyringo 01-16-2020 03:01 PM

That's Jason Smay on the Los Straightjackets video. I really dig his drumming and he usually plays a vintage kit.

OddBall 01-16-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyringo (Post 456715)
That's Jason Smay on the Los Straightjackets video. I really dig his drumming and he usually plays a vintage kit.

He's pretty good with sticks. He's creative.

johnnyringo 01-17-2020 04:34 PM

This is cool, I love his kit.

Drummer21 01-17-2020 04:46 PM

Hey jda its, no lo conprendo,