Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.44885%

Old TAMA Piccolo Snare w/ ANGLED LUGS?!!

yesterday i scored a pretty old looking 13" tama piccolo snare. been searching old online catalogs for hours trying to ID this model. badge is kind of a horizontal diamond shaped with rounded corners. it says "TAMA the quality drum" Serial # is 104674. crazy thing about this drum...lugs are all mounted at a slight angle and the tension rods all run at a slight angle too. looks like 7 ply wooden (maple?) shell with 10 lugs. any idea when this was made? worth anything? thanks for any help/info you have. stay cool. gary

Posted on 16 years ago

oh yea, 3 1/4 inches deep. man this drum is cool. please help! thanks again.

Posted on 16 years ago

Greetings.

A pic ( ! ) would help, but it sounds like a 90's AW543.

The Tama "piccolo" lug at the time was a little box that

was mounted with 2 offset screws.

I had a rare 4 x 14 Rosewood for a while, there was no slop

in the holes, no wiggle and they were cranked tight.

Still, I couldn't get over the fact that those suckers looked

off by 2 degrees.

Just a bum design?

Looking back, I really wish I'd kept that one...

Falling Do

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 15 years ago

hey there - thanks a lot for responding. i looked up the drum you were thinking...that's not it. this snare looks maybe 20-30 years older than the one you suggested. i can send pictures to anyone interested but i can't seem to get one to post here. my email is [email]spitup@msn.com[/email] if you want pictures drop me a line. thanks again for any help. gary

Posted on 15 years ago

I had a 3x13 piccolo that had lugs that I thought were slanted until I found out that it was actually a design flaw by Tama. Have you examined the drum from the inside real well? What I found was that since the tension rods were offset it applied to much tension either one way or another to the lug and they broke and then proceeded to tilt leavint the lug essentially hanging on by one connection. The drum still sounded great but was going to be tough finding parts to fix it. Not sure if this is so with your drum or not. Yes pics would be nice. I'll send you an e-mail to see if it looks like mine.

Posted on 15 years ago

yes, full exam has been done. lugs are factory drilled and installed at an angle. they are not loose...no play or flaw creating angle. this was clearly by design. just can't find the design anywhere. pics of badge, lugs, finish and throw-off upon request. [email]spitup@msn.com[/email] is my email. 1st response to pics was "prototype circa 1970's". thanks again. gary

Posted on 15 years ago

maybe it will work for picture like this. i will add a couple photos if this works.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

here are some more

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

here you go. hope this helps for id. stay cool. gary

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

hey there everyone - 90+ views and nobody has seen this model? please help! is there a tama serial number site? thanks again. gary

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here