Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.04802%

Gretsch Dixieland Snare ?

A number of years ago I bought this snare to use as part of a kit for sessions. The seller told me it was an older Gretsch dixieland snare that had been rewrapped. Since it has no badge and some aftermarket hardware it was an inexpensive purchase. Decent enough drum (which in the end is all that matters) but I am curious if anyone can offer an educated opinion as to whether or not this is a Gretsch shell. Here's what I can tell you:

-14 x 5.5" three ply shell

-6 lug - appears to have original lugs, rods and cob single flange rim on the batter side. All other hardware is aftermarket. The screws look original.

-No badge or label or label residue

-Believe it is a rewrap as there are no indentations in the wrap where the badge or original hardware would have been.

-No muffler or muffler mounting holes.

-Looks like it was originally drilled for the correct type of throw used on a dixie snare

-Silver interior but almost looks too good to be original

Along with pics of the drum I focused on the ply seams thinking that might offer the most insight into the origin of this drum. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Paul

5 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

It was a Dixeland.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

The three ply shell is nice. I would say if it is a Dixieland snare and the sealer is original it would be 58-61 or 62 (before inside tags were added in 62). I have a 60's 6ply Dixieland snare 6 lugger with die-cast hoops and it is a very nice drum. I would say give it a try with die-cast hoops - they are hard to come by though. Nice ole drum.

Here's mine with a Tung Oil finish and the die-cast hoops. I also put a few coats of clear gloss lacquer over the Silver Sealer....making the shell a kind of metalic tone. It's one of my nicest sounding snare drums.

Posted on 11 years ago

Vintage - Ouch!! But yeah, you're right. Thanks

Kona- Thanks for the input. I actually was thinking about getting a set of die cast hoops. After seeing the pic of your drum it looks like the way to go. Also I'm hoping it will get a little more out of drum. The current rims aren't the greatest. - Paul

Posted on 11 years ago

very nice snare drum

1966 ludwig club date champagne sparkle 20-12-14
1979 gretsch black nitron 20-12-13-16
1972 Rogers blue onyx 20-12-13-16
2012 gretsch renown 57 18-12-14
1980's gretsch Ice blue 22-12-13-16
1980's gretsch Ice blue 18-10-14
1972 slingerland silver sparkle 22-12-13-14-16
Posted on 11 years ago

Here is a scan of the drum in it's original configuration. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/gretsch_snare_drums/1961_gretsch_snare_drums3.jpg

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Ircollura - Thanks!

Vintage - Cool scan, Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here