Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Wood vs. Metal Bass Drum Hoops

This is a question with either a bunch of answers, or no real good answer, but I'll ask anyway:

Was cost the determining factor in using wood vs. metal hoops for MIJ/stencil companies?

Obviously, wood hoops are more expensive and are "better" for the kit (quality, appearance etc.). I have seen MIJ kits with both types (as we all have), but it seems like more of the earlier MIJ's had more wood hoops, and then more and more went to metal hoops.

I have three MIJ kits: Black Jack, Gracy and CB-700. The CB had metal hoops; the other two had wood hoops. The CB's are from about the mid-70's, the other two (as far as I can tell) are late 60's. Does this support my claim above, or were metal hoops just as prevalent on earlier MIJ kits as opposed to later ones?

Posted on 11 years ago

Well I don't think it was just the Japanese. I know that Gretsch fitted metal BD hoops sometime during the 70's, why I don't know but it didn't last long. Also I had a Rogers R360 for Xmas '82 from my parents and that had metal hoops too. Sounded great. In fact I played that kit into the ground till around 97/98. That was one of the best kits I ever owned. It must of been a trend thing I guess.

40's Slingerland Radio King WMP
60's Ludwig Downbeat Silver Spark
70's Ludwig Super Classic White Marine
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Posted on 11 years ago

I have an early 70's set of Stars with 20 inch metal hoops. I also have two Star stencils, a set of Supremes with 22 inch wooden hoops and a set of Tempos with the same material and size. Personally, I like the Star sound the best. It's what I gig with and what I think provides the deepest full sound. To be honest though,the stencil kits don't see much action. Maybe with proper tuning.....

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 11 years ago

Most likely once the molds were paid for, metal hoops were cheaper to produce. They also work better. The shopper's assumption - cheap kits = metal hoops and $$$ kits = wood hoops, therefore wood hoops are better - is wrong.

They sound different, which may or may not be to one's liking, but in most practical respects metal wins. It is the cheap kit association that keeps them unpopular.

Posted on 11 years ago

I agree. I love the look of wood hoops, but I have never thought any of my kits with metal hoops suffered sound-wise for having them... in face some of the best sounding kits ever have had metal hoops (Gretsch and Sonor both produced very high end drums with metal BD hoops).

In fact I've often toyed with the idea of replacing the wood hoops on a couple of my vintage drums with black metal ones and just swapping the inlays, because the metal are way more durable for gigging and dont chip or peel as badly.

------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Posted on 11 years ago

I actually saw what I considered to be a great metal hoop, It was cast and looked like it weighed a ton. I've also never seen another like it. The light, stamped metal MIT hoops of nowadays seem to bend and twist with the wind, but we all know that cheap stuff is... cheap. No getting around that.

However...

Consider that many of us have 18 or 20 inch floor toms, with metal hoops or rims. Well now, doesn't that throw a wrench in the works. And, as a caveat, lets not consider the thin rims, the ones less than say 2 mm or so.

Yep, I know lots of folks that will cringe and whimper but IMHO hoops is hoops. Whatever you decide to put on the drum will make it sound different.

I also think only a percussive heathen would put a metal hoop on a fine vintage kit, but that's all in the eye of the beholder. In other words, my worthless opinion. So go ahead and put that flat black painted metal hoop off of an Excel kit on that '59 Round Badge Gretsch kit of yours... but if you're playing at my house, you'd be behind the curtains... Yes Sir

fishwaltz
Posted on 11 years ago

Hollow Metal BD rims..create "Ring" and should be banned from the planet IMO.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

From fishwaltz

I actually saw what I considered to be a great metal hoop, It was cast and looked like it weighed a ton. I've also never seen another like it. The light, stamped metal MIT hoops of nowadays seem to bend and twist with the wind, but we all know that cheap stuff is... cheap. No getting around that.However...Consider that many of us have 18 or 20 inch floor toms, with metal hoops or rims. Well now, doesn't that throw a wrench in the works. And, as a caveat, lets not consider the thin rims, the ones less than say 2 mm or so. Yep, I know lots of folks that will cringe and whimper but IMHO hoops is hoops. Whatever you decide to put on the drum will make it sound different.I also think only a percussive heathen would put a metal hoop on a fine vintage kit, but that's all in the eye of the beholder. In other words, my worthless opinion. So go ahead and put that flat black painted metal hoop off of an Excel kit on that '59 Round Badge Gretsch kit of yours... but if you're playing at my house, you'd be behind the curtains... Yes Sir

"behind the curtains" That is funny stuff.

I prefer the look and sound of wood hoops on kick drums and I like them a lot on drums in general. On the other hand, while I have no intention of replacing wood hoops with metal, I do cringe whenever someone clamps a cowbell holder to one of my kicks. I always install rubber pads for the kick pedal, but am at a loss when that cowbell holder comes out.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

So anyway......

I had been playing my 1972-74 Dixie (Pearl made MIJ stencil with steel hoops) for over 20 years when I bought a different MIJ that happened to have wood hoops - and I was very impressed how much better the BD sounded. In my research to figure out how that superior sound was achieved, I tried some wood hoops on my Dixie instead of the steel hoops ans was blown away at how much better it sounded. It was explained to me that the wood hoops essentially lengthens the wood shell deeper and sort-of becomes part of the shell.....thus giving the drum a better sound. Since then, I have replaced almost all my steel hoops on all my BDs.

Shameless promotion - if you are in need of steel hoops for your MIJ, let me know, I may have some for you.....of course I am on the search for more wood hoops. I may buy some new ones, but would consider used.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

Very good points, all of you!

I don't care for metal hoops for a few reasons:

1. They make the drum heavier.

2. Most of them have the "loose marble" rattle sound when they are moved around.

3. There always seems to be a "hump" (a reverse inlay groove) on the insides of the hoops, and I've always had a lot of trouble clamping my pedal tightly, because the it can't lay flat on the hoop and grip tightly.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here