Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.44885%

LUDWIG ThermoGloss finish

Hello, new to Forum so hope I'm doing this correct.

Was wondering about Ludwig finish coat ThermoGloss. Does anyone know timeline it was used, or if that is too vague, when it was stopped being used?

Posted on 12 years ago

I do believe you can still order it.... :)

Posted on 12 years ago

Thermglass or nitrocellulose finish is still available as a product to this day. Are you looking for the years thermoglass finishes were put on drums?

70's Ludwig Blue Sparkle 12/13/16/18/22
70's Ludwig Natural Maple 12/13/16/18/22
65 Ludwig Silver Sparkle 13/16/20
70's Ludwig Walnut Cortex 12/13/16/22
Snares; 60's Acrolite/70's Acrolite/70's Black Beauty/
70's Natural Maple
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies Mike T and Ludwig4870. I was actually looking for the finishes and dates it was used on ludwig drums. I just picked up a set of Ludwigs and trying to figure out what finish it is. I know they are 1984-85

anniversary badge. I have a catalog but it doesn't seem to have this color available. It is a natural finish (not natural maple,red mahogany or walnut). I also have a Red Mahogany set from that year and I took a picture with the 2 side by side to see if someone could give me some insight to what the color might be. it is a Maple shell. Consists of 2- 16x22 bass drums, 10x14 6lug tom,

12x15 8lug tom, and a 16x18 floor. It looks to me to have a sunburst effect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on 12 years ago

Is it possible someone stripped the covering off and refinished them? I have numerous thermoglass drums but they are all maple in color.

70's Ludwig Blue Sparkle 12/13/16/18/22
70's Ludwig Natural Maple 12/13/16/18/22
65 Ludwig Silver Sparkle 13/16/20
70's Ludwig Walnut Cortex 12/13/16/22
Snares; 60's Acrolite/70's Acrolite/70's Black Beauty/
70's Natural Maple
Posted on 12 years ago

your kit is not thermogloss it is a cherry stain finish look at this scan. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/finishes/ludwig/1998_LUDWIG_FINISHES.jpg

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

From vintagemore2000

your kit is not thermogloss it is a cherry stain finish look at this scan. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/finishes/ludwig/1998_LUDWIG_FINISHES.jpg

Thanks vintagemore for the info. I think your right on the thermogloss finish but what is confusing me is the color. I didn't think they offered this color in 1984-85? anymore info would be great. it also looks like it could be the coral color that you sent in your link. the finish is not refinished as far as i can tell, if it is, it is a great job. the sizes are strange too, which makes me wonder if they were ordered with them sizes and also the hardware is hercules which i saw that you could order in 1984 anniversary issue. My other anniversary set is modular. Either way I now know it isn't thermogloss finish, but curious on the color. I'm sending a shot of the bass drum with the finish that looks like two tone just for the hell of it.

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here