Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 10-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default ZICKOS Drums

Being from Kansas City you would think I would have some knowledge of this brand but I dont. Is there a market for these drums?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: ZICKOS Drums

I have a Zickos prototype bass drum, currently, and also had a whole set of prototypes from the mid-70's. All of the shells were made from green or amber fiberglass with a white gel-coat paint over the outside. I think those were intended to be called "Supersonic" drums....but I don't think they ever made it to the commercial market. I think a few of the prototype kits exist, but not many. They are very, very, VERY weird!

But the clear, acrylic Zickos drums that everyone knows are supposedly nice (as far as acrylic shell drums go!) I don't think there is much of a market for Zickos acrylics as there is for Ludwig Visualities, though.

I can say that the Zickos lugs are really cool in terms of design -with the special, slotted rims and swivels inside the lug casing. I'm not sure it made the drums sound any different....mostly just a design from an era when design was what drums were all about. Also reference the famous Trixon drums and the Arbiters....crazy, kooky stuff, but some (like myself) think that era was ultra-cool!

As with all acrylic shells, condition is everything. They get scratched easily and often didn't stand up well to the tests of time.

That's all I got!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 10-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: ZICKOS Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
I have a Zickos prototype bass drum, currently, and also had a whole set of prototypes from the mid-70's. All of the shells were made from green or amber fiberglass with a white gel-coat paint over the outside. I think those were intended to be called "Supersonic" drums....but I don't think they ever made it to the commercial market. I think a few of the prototype kits exist, but not many. They are very, very, VERY weird!

But the clear, acrylic Zickos drums that everyone knows are supposedly nice (as far as acrylic shell drums go!) I don't think there is much of a market for Zickos acrylics as there is for Ludwig Visualities, though.

I can say that the Zickos lugs are really cool in terms of design -with the special, slotted rims and swivels inside the lug casing. I'm not sure it made the drums sound any different....mostly just a design from an era when design was what drums were all about. Also reference the famous Trixon drums and the Arbiters....crazy, kooky stuff, but some (like myself) think that era was ultra-cool!

As with all acrylic shells, condition is everything. They get scratched easily and often didn't stand up well to the tests of time.

That's all I got!

The shells we're alot thicker & a lot heavier..lol
Less proning to cracking..
However not the easiest kit to gig with or buy & ship..
due to the weight..!
I did own a early 70s 22/18/13 & it didn't need to be Mic'd if in a pub..!

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.