Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Got A Psychedelic Red Ludwig set yesterday

I had been after the owner of this set to sell it to me for at least two decades. A local guy I know bought this set new (he always said it was in 1968 but the badges and date stamps tell a different story). I knew about them and would always tell him "If you ever want to sell those drums...." and his response was always "never". Well "never" became yesterday due to a nasty divorce forcing a sale. 1971 Ludwig Hollywood set (12/13/16/22 with a 400 Supra). Clear maple interiors. Typical fading of the green areas but there is still some green left (it's not full bore "Patriotic Mod" red, white, & blue like many end up). I might try my hand at restoring the green areas if I can get good results on some test areas.

Wasn't a "steal" although I don't think I paid too much either. I was hoping I might get some hardware and even some cymbals for the agreed upon price but I neglected to ask exactly what I was buying during the negotiations and ended up with just the five drums and the tom holder. Actually I ended up with just four drums but when I asked about the snare he grudgingly threw it in for "free".

Anyway, I just happened to have the required purchase amount due to a bonus at work, and even though I should have spent it elsewhere I knew I'd always regret it if I let these slide by.
So another set of drums to hide from the wife and to work on. I needed another drum set like the world needs to know more about the Kardashians but I have to admit it's pretty cool...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3597a.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	112845  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Got A Psychedelic Red Ludwig set yesterday

Cool set. I've always liked that color.
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'60's Crest MIJ, Black Diamond Pearl, 12/14/20
'72 Rogers, Oyster Black, 13/16/22
'70s Tempro, Red Grain Pearl, 12/14/14sn/20
Too many snares to list!

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
I had been after the owner of this set to sell it to me for at least two decades. A local guy I know bought this set new (he always said it was in 1968 but the badges and date stamps tell a different story). I knew about them and would always tell him "If you ever want to sell those drums...." and his response was always "never". Well "never" became yesterday due to a nasty divorce forcing a sale. 1971 Ludwig Hollywood set (12/13/16/22 with a 400 Supra). Clear maple interiors. Typical fading of the green areas but there is still some green left (it's not full bore "Patriotic Mod" red, white, & blue like many end up). I might try my hand at restoring the green areas if I can get good results on some test areas.

Wasn't a "steal" although I don't think I paid too much either. I was hoping I might get some hardware and even some cymbals for the agreed upon price but I neglected to ask exactly what I was buying during the negotiations and ended up with just the five drums and the tom holder. Actually I ended up with just four drums but when I asked about the snare he grudgingly threw it in for "free".

Anyway, I just happened to have the required purchase amount due to a bonus at work, and even though I should have spent it elsewhere I knew I'd always regret it if I let these slide by.
So another set of drums to hide from the wife and to work on. I needed another drum set like the world needs to know more about the Kardashians but I have to admit it's pretty cool...
It`s amazing how the Patriot comes out of these wraps. Red, Purple and Green turn to Red, White and Blue. They should have called it chameleons.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Beautiful now you need o add to show us your Hollywood congratulations
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 AM

KO
Great add to your collection! I have been in the hunt for one also, I love the way they turn to the "Patriotic kit" with the fade. If the wife catches you, send them my way, I can always sneak them into the CT house with out going noticed !
Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Yeah those are really nice drums, but I for one can't get enough of those Kardashians!

As far as flying under the spousal radar...there is always the Jedi mind trick..."those are not the drums you are looking for."
Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Congrats. That's a kit people dream of owning.
There was a post by someone within the last year or so who did a phenomenal job on re-coloring the green (and perhaps other colors) in his psych kit. I think he used colored Sharpies. Seemed like it was painstaking work, but it was beautiful.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post

Wasn't a "steal" although I don't think I paid too much either.
I was hoping I might get some hardware and even some cymbals for the agreed
upon price but I neglected to ask exactly what I was buying during the negotiations and
ended up with just the five drums and the tom holder. Actually I ended up with just four drums but when I asked about the snare he grudgingly threw it in for "free".

Beautiful set .. Psych Red has started to grow on me. Before i'd always thought they
looked like something someone from Woodstock threw up,but now, it's a different story.
Btw, your wife will change her tune when retirement comes and it's time to sell, providing
if you can actually part with them....
Old 10-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Great catch Kevin !!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Really nice score.
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16