Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 10-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Default How do you determine the Date of a Rogers R-360 ?

Hey VDF enthusiasts
I picked up a nice 3 piece Rogers R-360 kit (12, 16, 20) in what appears to be the Blue Strata Pearl wrap (based on the posted Rogers finish catalog from 1965 on our forum). It also came with a R-380 snare.

I know they are not considered the "best drums", but I couldn't resist the wrap and for the price I couldn't say no.

I remember reading they were "entry level" when Rogers was MIJ by Yamaha? Any history to help me better understand the drums and their history?
So, how do I get more of an accurate date on these as well as gain some info on the composition of the shells ? I will have them in my grubby little hands in about 2-weeks so I can see the serial numbers on the insides (if there are any that is). It has a consolette tom mount which may help on the dating.

The BD is missing a hoop, but I believe I can pick up one through the bay but it will be tough to source the inlay that matches.

The snare is has a fair amount of pitting but I don't think it will be too tough to get it to shine again after a few rounds on the buffing wheel with a variety of rouges.

Any thoughts, info, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
A few pictures to help . . .
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogers 1960s R-360.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	112945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogers 1960s R-360 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	112946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogers 1960s R-360 (3).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	112947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogers 1960s R-360 (4).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	112948  

Name:	Rogers 1960s R-360 (5).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	112949  
Old 10-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Default Re: How do you determine the Date of a Rogers R-360 ?

This line of Rogers was in play after Grossman sold to CBS. That was April 1966. If they were offered into the Dayton move to CA then they would be pre 1969. Was this line of R60s offered in CA era? Always thought this to be a late 60s CBS OH Rogers. I'd say your set is around a 67/68. Just my guess from the dates I know. Curious if any ads out there for them had Fullerton or Dayton at the bottom of the page? Nice color on those drums!

Last edited by Gary N; 10-07-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I personally don't consider Yamaha-built Rogers drums "entry level".That may have been the intent, but they aren't. The post-Yamaha ones,yes.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My friend has that exact kit! I helped her restore it. Great looking and sounding drums. I believe the official name of the wrap is "Blue Ripple".

On her kit, all the blue from the Blue Ripple has evenly faded to a Mint Green, which I think looks even cooler. It looks like yours are starting to head that direction. Hers are completely blue underneath the lugs. I'll be curious to see a picture of the wrap on your kit with some of the lugs removed.

After restoring this kit and working with it and examining it closely, I can tell you that it is very well made and sounds great. You will be very happy with your purchase! I don't remember any date stamps, serial numbers or paper tags on the inside. If I remember correctly, the insides were painted an olive green-ish.

As far as the hoop inlay, you might want to contact Magnus (user name is "Compact Drums" on the forum). He owns Walopus wrap, and he might be able to match the inlay if you can send him a sample from the other hoop. I contacted Magnus just like week about developing a "Mint Green Ripple" just like my friends has ended up.

Last edited by vyacheslav; 10-08-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
I was looking at the finish catalogues and thought the Blue Strata Pearl. I have a 360 snare in what I believe is the Blue ripple (below). I will definately reach out to Magnus for the inlay. Can't wait to get it to first play it (has all new heads) then to start taking it apart and see the color beneath the lugs as well as get a better idea about its construction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	112984  
Old 10-08-2017, 02:53 PM

Here's the wrap page
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	112985  
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
I remember reading they were "entry level" when Rogers was MIJ by Yamaha?
Just to clarify, those R-360s were an import line made for Rogers by Yamaha but the "real" Rogers of the time were still being made in the USA by the Rogers Drum Co. (or whatever the official name of that division of CBS was). Yamaha did not own the Rogers name or produce Rogers drums (besides those first R-360s) until several decades later.

I had a set of those in Blue Ripple that I bought at a thrift store for $40 (purchased simply to get the Ludwig 1124 Hi-Hat stand that was in the mix). They were decent drums although the MIJ hardware was a bit clunky. I eventually traded them off to a local music store for an early 60's Slingerland tom.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I can't be 100% sure, but I think the wrap colors on the original R-360's were limited to the "Ripple" finishes (Blue Ripple, Steel-Gray Ripple and Wine Red Ripple). In other words, the full gamut of Rogers finishes were not an option on them. I haven't seen any other original R-360's in anything but a Ripple finish.